1. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 03:26
    NAPLES, FL -

A Naples family could be out on the street, and they say it's all over a confederate flag.

Genice Horta has lived in the Timberwood of Naples community for two years. Last week she said her 15-year-old son - who is mentally disabled - put a confederate flag in his window. "He doesn't understand the controversy," says Horta. "Fourth of July, Independence, he believed he was celebrating independence."

She says the flag was up for an hour at most, but now her property managers, Moore Property Management, say she and her family need to go. "I tried to get an answer from her (association manager) and her answer was 'well last week you had a confederate flag up.'"

But on the letter of eviction, the company claims the family has been "notified numerous times regarding the breaking of the rules." Horta says she's only had two minor incidents, both during the first month she moved in. "I haven't received a letter since then."

We contacted the property management group, who had no comment. We also spoke with the president of the homeowners association, who would not comment except to say the board examined her lease, and believed past violations are enough to evict her.

"All I asked for was proof of these various issues and I couldn't get a straight answer." Horta just renewed her lease two weeks ago. Now she has less than 30 days to find a new home. "It's not like everyday somebody gets thrown out because you put up a flag. I believe I'm owed an explanation."

Horta has the right to apply for appeal, which would give her more time to fight for her home.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/29497244/confederate-flag-prompts-eviction-naples-resident-says#.VZ83juuAbdn

YouTube

--------------

Let's assume that the family was evicted because the landlord does not like the Confederate flag. Does anyone have a problem with that?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 04:20
    Landlords should not evict people for such things
  3. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 06:07
    So there were two unidentified "incidents", which the tenant claims were minor.

Nice story with a whole lot of nothing.

But let's assume that the landlord is a Martian invader. What should be done about it?
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 08:06
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike

Let's assume that the family was evicted because the landlord does not like the Confederate flag. Does anyone have a problem with that?
    Yes.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 09:58
    NAPLES, FL -

A Naples family could be out on the street, and they say it's all over a confederate flag.

Genice Horta has lived in the Timberwood of Naples community for two years. Last week she said her 15-year-old son - who is mentally disabled - put a confederate flag in his window. "He doesn't understand the controversy," says Horta. "Fourt ...[text shortened]... ause the landlord does not like the Confederate flag. Does anyone have a problem with that?
    [/b]
    The people of this country are getting crazier all the time. It is things like this that makes me glad I am 71.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 11:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds

It is things like this that makes me glad I am 71.
    Coincidentally, that is also your IQ.

😏
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 11:50
    NAPLES, FL -

Genice Horta has lived in the Timberwood of Naples community for two years. Last week she said her 15-year-old son - who is mentally disabled - put a confederate flag in his window. "He doesn't understand the controversy," says Horta. "Fourt ...[text shortened]... ause the landlord does not like the Confederate flag. Does anyone have a problem with that?
    [/b]
    Lease renewed two weeks ago.

I can see how (at a stretch) a sensitive landlord might see the display of that flag as a significant breach of the terms of a lease, but I can't see how that could result so easily in the termination of a lease, which is an important contract. I can imagine there might be financial incentives for a landlord to remove any tenant, depending on movements in the property market, but that is why one would expect tenants to have some protection and rights of their own.

What legal rights do Florida landlords have to evict without a court order? In the UK they can't.

I smell a spurious story here.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 01:02
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Lease renewed two weeks ago.

I can see how (at a stretch) a sensitive landlord might see the display of that flag as a significant breach of the terms of a lease, but I can't see how that could result so easily in the termination of a lease, which is an important contract. I can imagine there might be financial incentives for a landlord to remove any t ...[text shortened]... rds have to evict without a court order? In the UK they can't.

I smell a spurious story here.
    The landlord can present a notice of eviction and hope the tenant voluntarily leaves. But it can't be enforced legally without a court order.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 22:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The landlord can present a notice of eviction and hope the tenant voluntarily leaves. But it can't be enforced legally without a court order.
    As I thought. In England the equivalent is a Notice to Quit and some tenants get the idea they have to comply, but in reality when the notice expires then the landlord has to commence court proceedings. It is just lazy (because it is pointless) to serve such a notice without first attempting to resolve problems and establish if there are sufficient grounds to proceed. I suspect we are not getting the full story here.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 04:21
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Coincidentally, that is also your IQ.

😏
    What do you mean? I know you know that I am ....

The Near Genius 😏
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 04:28
    Originally posted by finnegan
    As I thought. In England the equivalent is a Notice to Quit and some tenants get the idea they have to comply, but in reality when the notice expires then the landlord has to commence court proceedings. It is just lazy (because it is pointless) to serve such a notice without first attempting to resolve problems and establish if there are sufficient grounds to proceed. I suspect we are not getting the full story here.
    We have many laws that don't seem to work too well here either. 50 states and thery make their own laws and the cities make their laws and some of them are obsolete and don't even make sense now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree