Cost of US health insurance cover

Cost of US health insurance cover

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia

Moves
16 May 13
1 edit

In a recent episode of The Good Wife (ep.89 in season 4), it was indicated that employer-provided health care was worth $30,000 a year. Any American care to clarify or confirm this unbelievable amount?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
16 May 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
In a recent episode of The Good Wife (ep.89 in season 4), it was indicated that employer-provided health care was worth $30,000 a year. Any American care to clarify or confirm this unbelievable amount?
I'm not sure if this figure is correct, but healthcare does cost a lot in America. Overpriced pharmaceuticals, administrative fees, malpractice insurance, sky high tuition, lawyers, and continuing education costs are just some of the reasons for this. 😕

E

Moves
16 May 13

I know that to cover my wife we would have had to cough up $600/month or $7200 a year. If you count me, that would have been 14K per year, then throw in the kids and that would be roughly $20k per year. These numbers come from about 10 years ago back when I even considered covering my wife.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
17 May 13

Medicine, as it is generally practiced in the US, is primarily about money. My encounters with doctors here has revealed that true healers and dedicated MD's are disappearing rapidly. It is treated as primarily a business and medicine is just the vehicle.
There are, of course, exceptions but they are vanishing breed.
That is, sadly, the American Way. 😕

E

Moves
17 May 13

Originally posted by caissad4
Medicine, as it is generally practiced in the US, is primarily about money. My encounters with doctors here has revealed that true healers and dedicated MD's are disappearing rapidly. It is treated as primarily a business and medicine is just the vehicle.
There are, of course, exceptions but they are vanishing breed.
That is, sadly, the American Way. 😕
I'd say that's the 'health insurance' way.

Health insurance requires that you pay extra money to the people getting rich off providing the insurance. Health insurance gives doctors a false sense of what people can afford.

d

Moves
17 May 13

Health insurance itself raises a doctor's overhead costs drastically. They need to hire professionals to deal with insurance companies or contract that work out.