1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 22:331 edit
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2320344/josten-bundy-marriage-get-married-or-go-to-jail-what-would-you-do/

Josten Bundy stood in front of a judge in Smith County Texas when he was given a choice by the judge. Jail or marriage. Josten Bundy was arrested in March and charged with assault causing bodily injury. The man that Josten assaulted was the ex-boyfriend of his current girlfriend, Elizabeth (Hannah) Jaynes.

The charge itself was a misdemeanor. If Bundy decided to take the jail option, he would have been forced to spend just over two weeks, 15 days, behind bars. Instead, he chose to marry his girlfriend, Elizabeth Jaynes. Josten was posed the question of “is she worth it” by the Smith County judge. Josten must have believed yes because he elected to take the marriage path as opposed to jail time.

The terms of the deal made between the judge and Bundy were to marry Jaynes within 30 days, go to counseling, and write scripture from the bible. The father of the bride, Kenneth Jaynes, was very upset with the judge.

“He [the judge] can’t do this by court ordering somebody to be married. I contacted a couple of lawyers but they told me someone was trying to pull my leg…that judges don’t court order somebody to get married.”

Elizabeth was not happy either. This was not the wedding she had dreamed of having.

“We weren’t going to be able to have the wedding we wanted. It was just going to be kind of pieced together. I didn’t even have a white dress. My face was so red, people behind me were laughing. “[The judge] made me stand up in court.”

The Bundy/Jaynes couple had been discussing marriage, so getting married was not completely out of the blue for the couple. They at least realized that they did want to spend the rest of their lives together.

What did Josten think about this whole ordeal?

“I just wonder what would have happened if Hannah said no, had we said, ‘you know judge, we would like to get married on our own terms.’

That is a very interesting question. What would the judge have said if Elizabeth did not want to get married within 30 days? Bundy commented further about how he felt about the ruling.

“He offered me fifteen days in jail and that would have been fine and I asked if I could call my job [to let them know]. The judge told me ‘nope, that’s not how this works.'”

Judges have made outside-the-box rulings before, but was giving Josten Bundy the choice of either marriage or jail appropriate?

What are your opinions on this case? Should the judge have only focused on a sentence that focused on Bundy alone?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 06:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    What are your opinions on this case? Should the judge have only focused on a sentence that focused on Bundy alone?
    I would stand by the Judges ruling. The girl of course cannot be forced to get married and can say no, or say 'lets wait'. The judge had his reasons and had a point to make and that is what his job is.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 07:58
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2320344/josten-bundy-marriage-get-married-or-go-to-jail-what-would-you-do/

Josten Bundy stood in front of a judge in Smith County Texas when he was given a choice by the judge. Jail or marriage. Josten Bundy was arrested in March and charged with assault causing bodily injury. The man that Josten assaulted was the ex-boyfriend of h ...[text shortened]... ions on this case? Should the judge have only focused on a sentence that focused on Bundy alone?
    where do you guys get these judges?
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 08:30

Josten Bundy stood in front of a judge in Smith County Texas when he was given a choice by the judge. Jail or marriage. Josten Bundy was arrested in March and charged with assault causing bodily injury. The man that Josten assaulted was the ex-boyfriend of h ...[text shortened]... ions on this case? Should the judge have only focused on a sentence that focused on Bundy alone?
    As a member of the American Taliban you will be entirely comfortable with a male judge ordering a man to marry ...

Afterthought:

...[a woman]
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 13:24
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    They vote for them.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 14:53
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    They vote for them.
    yes, which is itself insane
  7. Germany
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 15:50
    The "writing scripture from the Bible" is icing on the cake.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 17:23

Read

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-texas-man-married-jail/story?id=32962497

for a different slant, and a smiling picture and a white dress. The pic was obviously staged.

The order moved the wedding up by one day.

If the marriage survives, it'll be part of family lore.

After all, it's Texas.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 23:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would stand by the Judges ruling. The girl of course cannot be forced to get married and can say no, or say 'lets wait'. The judge had his reasons and had a point to make and that is what his job is.
    Wait..........wut?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 23:54
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The "writing scripture from the Bible" is icing on the cake.
    A judge has spoken.

Behold, it has been settled.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 23:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    Read

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-texas-man-married-jail/story?id=32962497

for a different slant, and a smiling picture and a white dress. The pic was obviously staged.

The order moved the wedding up by one day.

If the marriage survives, it'll be part of family lore.

After all, it's Texas.
    This is what happens when the state gets involved in the marriage business.
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 02:28

This is Texas. I say let them be their own country. Then the other 49 states can all chip in to build a fence and not let any of them cross the border. Better to let those in Mexico and Central and South American into the U.S. of A.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '15 15:20
    I'd take jail.

Why open yourself up to the woman marrying you, never having anything to do with you, then divorcing you taking half of what you have now and half your pay check for the next 20 years?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '15 18:032 edits
    Originally posted by Phranny
    This is Texas. I say let them be their own country. Then the other 49 states can all chip in to build a fence and not let any of them cross the border. Better to let those in Mexico and Central and South American into the U.S. of A.
    Let them ban gay marraige? Let them ban Obamacare? Let them ban abortion?

Obama would send in the troops first.

Obama's ideas are so good they are compulsary for all.

Do we really care what voters in an individual state really think?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 00:26
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    In the USA, judges are elected or appointed to replace God on legal matters. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree