1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 May '13 22:02
    Lost amid all the partisan finger pointing these days, is a growing issue that needs to be dealt with soon. America is under constant attack from un friendly countries in cyberspace, and America does not have enough qualified people to deal with it. Computer experts typically seek employment at places like Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple etc. Now America must seek computer experts from other countries to help defend itself from cyber attacks against it's defence sectors, financial institutions, and communication systems. North Korea, China, and many middle east countries are the main offenders, but Russia is by no means innocent in this area either. Cyberspace may be the next major battlefield, and America needs help...and NOT from foreigners. Any ideas?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/blogs/war-and-peace/2013/05/17/top-military-scientist-building-cyber-army-with-few-qualified-recruits/W0QN2j3NecVVDYgSbO3XwK/blog.html
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    17 May '13 23:373 edits
    I don't know what to recomend, but good post.

I think China's hacking intentions are over stated. Its not the sort of thing I worry about them doing, I'm much more worried with the way they move metals. There was an incident involving 'gold farming' - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7575902.stm - but thats the worst I've heard off? but there ability to eclipse a site they pick on is scary.

Russia has a reputation and intelligence folk always seem interested in encryption, so they must have experts. Terrorist organisations are said to like the net, its viral quality.

I worry a bit about file sharing - the way it works opens a lot of computers up to attack, just an error in a program could cause trouble.

But not sure what to say... good luck!
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 May '13 23:42
    Originally posted by bill718
    Lost amid all the partisan finger pointing these days, is a growing issue that needs to be dealt with soon. America is under constant attack from un friendly countries in cyberspace, and America does not have enough qualified people to deal with it. Computer experts typically seek employment at places like Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple etc. Now America must seek c ...[text shortened]... tary-scientist-building-cyber-army-with-few-qualified-recruits/W0QN2j3NecVVDYgSbO3XwK/blog.html
    Not producing enough computer scientists? Never mind. You can get lots of people to pray for you instead.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    17 May '13 23:463 edits
    don't think christians are dumb on computers - its far from the truth - Bayes was a devout Christian and his laws are one of the many things that keep your bank card safe (300 ish years later!)
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 May '13 00:11
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Not producing enough computer scientists? Never mind. You can get lots of people to pray for you instead.
    A lot of computer science folks have had to take up jobs like driving taxi cabs as the corporations here are hiring foreigners. Hard to blame the younger generation for not going into the field because of it. George Bush JR. was telling everyone that more education was needed when it was and is policy to outsource these jobs as well as the agriculture jobs.
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 May '13 12:21
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    A lot of computer science folks have had to take up jobs like driving taxi cabs as the corporations here are hiring foreigners. Hard to blame the younger generation for not going into the field because of it. George Bush JR. was telling everyone that more education was needed when it was and is policy to outsource these jobs as well as the agriculture jobs.
    That is a pity - but I used to work in IT and there is a big difference between someone with a computer science degree and someone who knows the odd programming language. not wishing to be rude but there are a lot of amateurs, i was one...
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 May '13 13:20
    Originally posted by e4chris
    That is a pity - but I used to work in IT and there is a big difference between someone with a computer science degree and someone who knows the odd programming language. not wishing to be rude but there are a lot of amateurs, i was one...
    These were computer science folks with good paying jobs that were layed off in order to bring in some folks from India. They were living within their means until the layoffs. Many lost their homes because of it. They were not just your average IT guy that has some networking knowledge, but full blown computer geeks.
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 May '13 20:35
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    These were computer science folks with good paying jobs that were layed off in order to bring in some folks from India. They were living within their means until the layoffs. Many lost their homes because of it. They were not just your average IT guy that has some networking knowledge, but full blown computer geeks.
    Mybe thats part of the problem? I think IT people in big companies sometimes miss the fact you must be entrepreurial - its like 'We've done some really nice reports with graphs' yes but where is the money, reports are great if they make money but some IT folk do things for the sake of it.

Also its cruel how tech changes and leaves people who spent years studying say C+ obsolete (i don't know anything about C but you know what i mean)
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 May '13 15:49
    Originally posted by bill718
    Lost amid all the partisan finger pointing these days, is a growing issue that needs to be dealt with soon. America is under constant attack from un friendly countries in cyberspace, and America does not have enough qualified people to deal with it. Computer experts typically seek employment at places like Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple etc. Now America must seek c ...[text shortened]... tary-scientist-building-cyber-army-with-few-qualified-recruits/W0QN2j3NecVVDYgSbO3XwK/blog.html
    They not only are lacking the best experts with computers, they are also lacking experts in every field that they delve into, especially when it comes to the economy and fiscal planning.

I would think that before you jump into a field and take it over you should first be an expert in it.

Just say'in.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    19 May '13 16:34
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Mybe thats part of the problem? I think IT people in big companies sometimes miss the fact you must be entrepreurial - its like 'We've done some really nice reports with graphs' yes but where is the money, reports are great if they make money but some IT folk do things for the sake of it.

Also its cruel how tech changes and leaves people who spent years studying say C+ obsolete (i don't know anything about C but you know what i mean)
    As I took it the computer boys worked on projects given to them by their management. It was a matter of cheaper labor that drove the decisions the management made. Cost is always part of business, but once again americans are unable to compete on a global scale without a shift in standard of living. In short, the corporations are willing to make a fast buck at the expense of american standard of living. Through regulations and import taxes, the federal government used to be able to maintain our standard of living by putting our workers on a competitive playing field, but fascism is the rule today.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 May '13 11:20
    I always had this perception Americans are good at IT. companies like IBM, HP etc that also do reaserch. All the big computer companies I can think off are American. I think IT folk run into trouble in big companies like banks etc because they think its a job for life when really they are working on projects like everyone else. jusy my thoughts.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 May '13 13:16
    Originally posted by finnegan
    We don't need to develop computer scientists (though we do develop more than we need). We just need to pay to attract them to government service, whether US born or not.

Last I checked, the US was still capable of spending money on defense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree