1. Joined
    14 Mar '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 04:59
    [Reposted from the General Forum]

To those it may concern:

I wanted to let you know that my dad, who played chess (and debated) here under the name DanTriola (http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=336752), passed away suddenly on Sunday morning. I know this community meant a lot to him and that his most recent move was on the day he died. (He still has a number of active games.)

I'm sorry to pass along the sad news (and don't know if this is the best place on the site to do so), but I wanted to let you all know somehow.

All the best,
    Amelia
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 05:092 edits
    Originally posted by ameliapmorris

To those it may concern:

I wanted to let you know that my dad, who played chess (and debated) here under the name DanTriola (http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=336752), passed away suddenly on Sunday morning. I know this community meant a lot to him and that his most recent move was on the d ...[text shortened]... lace on the site to do so), but I wanted to let you all know somehow.

All the best,
    Amelia
    I am so sorry that I "knew" him on here for so little time. I was just quoting one of his posts to a friend the other day.

All well wishes to you and others among your dad's family and friends. Sad, sad, sad.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 05:32

To those it may concern:

I wanted to let you know that my dad, who played chess (and debated) here under the name DanTriola (http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=336752), passed away suddenly on Sunday morning. I know this community meant a lot to him and that his most recent move was on the d ...[text shortened]... lace on the site to do so), but I wanted to let you all know somehow.

All the best,
    Amelia
    I am sorry for your loss Amelia. Thank you for letting us know.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 08:42

To those it may concern:

All the best,
    Amelia
    Enjoyed Dans posts, seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 17:521 edit
    I am upset at this news. It explains his recent silence. He was a most interesting character and one of the pleasures of being on this site has been to encounter him.

He was also delightfully strong minded and I suspect would be pleased (or at least amused) to be remembered on this debating forum.

From his profile page:

"Sad deserted shore, your fickle friends are leaving
    Ah, but then you know
    it's time for them to go
    But I will still be here,
    I have no thought of leaving
    I do not count the time"
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 17:58
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I am upset at this news. It explains his recent silence. He was a most interesting character and one of the pleasures of being on this site has been to encounter him.

He was also delightfully strong minded and I suspect would be pleased (or at least amused) to be remembered on this debating forum.
    Agreed.
    I did not converse with him directly very much but did read all of his post with great interest.
    I even quoted him to a family member last week. I found him very interesting and did respect his opinions here.
    My heart goes out to his family, I am sure they miss him very much.
  7. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 18:45

To those it may concern:

All the best,
    Amelia
    So sorry for the loss of your dad Amelia. He was obviously an experienced and thoughtful guy with a lot of wisdom to share. I always went out of my way to read whatever he wrote here.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 18:562 edits

To those it may concern:

All the best,
    Amelia
    I'm so sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences. I also enjoyed Dan's contributions to the forums and also enjoyed playing a few games against him (even though he hammered me 😉).

Best wishes to your family.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm so sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences. I also enjoyed Dan's contributions to the forums and also enjoyed playing a few games against him (even though he hammered me 😉).

Best wishes to your family.
    It seemed like only recently that he had begun to post on the Debates threads here; and now we shall have no more of his important contribution to these boards. May I offer my condolences to you and the rest of Dan's family?
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 11:52
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    It seemed like only recently that he had begun to post on the Debates threads here; and now we shall have no more of his important contribution to these boards. May I offer my condolences to you and the rest of Dan's family?
    Any man who can calmly say GHW and the CIA did it (referring to a thread on JFK) gets my vote. RIP Dan Triola, my only regret is that I did not have an opportunity to more directly engage with your musings. To his family, my deepest condolences.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 12:04
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Any man who can calmly say GHW and the CIA did it (referring to a thread on JFK) gets my vote. RIP Dan Triola, my only regret is that I did not have an opportunity to more directly engage with your musings. To his family, my deepest condolences.
    Indeed. Dan was a breath of fresh air around here.

May he rest in peace.
  12. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 12:56

To those it may concern:

All the best,
    Amelia
    I'm so sorry. My deepest sympathies for your loss. Thank you for sharing this with us.

My mother recently had a scare with cancer, but fortunately she's okay and the melanoma hadn't spread. And you know something? When my mother thought she had about six months left to live, her main thought at the time was whether I'd be okay once she's gone. I'm so touched by her deep and profound love for me, and so relieved that she's okay. I just felt a need to share this, and I hope you don't mind. I have Aspergers so my social judgement isn't always the best.

And again, I am so sorry for your loss. It must be truly awful, especially given how suddenly it happened.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 04:04

To those it may concern:

All the best,
    Amelia
    Originally posted by DanTriola

"This is Margaret, DanTriola's other daughter. The obituary you saw is for his brother, my uncle who passed away. Also, here is a link to where you can read the obituary for my father. www.miznerfuneralhome.com"

Thanks for your father's obituary, Margret. Having already messaged my condolences to your sister, Amelia, I extend them here to you. We're all grateful to the two of you for your thoughtfulness in providing timely notification and closure.

Bill Morris and I became close friends in the Spring of 2012 following his personal message about an obscure movie I had commented on in a public forum thread. The scope and depth of his knowledge on movies, little known anecdotal trivia about actors and producers and novels was incredible. Within a month, we had three installment personal messages in progress (reciprocating with batch replies every few days): One on movies past and present with recommendations and on books we had both read; one on his OTB Chess Interests and Chess Masters and my own early mentors at the Boylston Chess Club in Boston; and one Dr. Morris devoted to providing medical guidance (often with humor) concerning recovery from my paralysis and preferred medications to alleviate the discomforts of lower leg neuropathy which followed.

He also stressed the importance of correct diet and became interested in the weekly menus at the rehabilitation facility, giving me his mailing address for the purpose of sending one of the few saved as memorabilia. Sent it the next day. His advice was invaluable. Our dialogue concluded Spring of 2013 as he had begun to prepare for PA Chess Events and family vacation to the shores. Bill's erudition and idiosyncratic style of expression, objectivity and candor, generosity and kindness I appreciated. His friendship I valued; the man himself, I loved as a brother (still young at the age of sixty five). -Bob

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree