1. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 06:40
    http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/opinion/08brooks.html
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 06:41
    the comments are more illuminating than the column. i think brooks is putting out filler so he can get to his summer vacation.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 10:44
    I remember a survey a few years ago in the UK. They looked at the educational backgrounds of directors of big companies, cabinet ministers, people at comparable levels of success.

The two most common degree subjects were law....and history.

I think it's a bit of a fallacy that humanities graduates aren't employable.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 09:26
    the devil is in the details. is a cabinet minister comparable to the director of a big company?

you can see how lawyers could easily rise to the top in any power structure except maybe non-legal faculty.

but what proportion of each type of position are historians?

look at the leadership of the PRC. one is a lawyer or some such, the rest are all engineers.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 09:51
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    the devil is in the details. is a cabinet minister comparable to the director of a big company?

you can see how lawyers could easily rise to the top in any power structure except maybe non-legal faculty.

but what proportion of each type of position are historians?

look at the leadership of the PRC. one is a lawyer or some such, the rest are all engineers.
    Oh yes, there will be local differences. That was the result across the board, though. It's just a small indication that a humanities background does not equate with lack of employability. A good humanities degree demonstrates all sorts of important skills - communication skills, ability to analyse and combine information from lots of sources, etc. And most modern courses will include things like team-working and IT skills embedded in them.

The majority of graduate jobs don't need subject specific skills.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree