1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 10:00
    This is a few days old, but still highlights how Obamacare is here to stay and will be a part of our culture. Obamacare will go down as the greatest accomplishment of America in the early 21st century.

John Metz Denny's Obamacare Surcharge Stirs Big Mess For Restaurant Chain

Don't expect to hear more about an Obamacare surcharge from Denny's franchisee John Metz.

Denny's chief executive John Miller privately reached out to Metz to express his "disappointment" with the Florida franchisee's controversial statements about Obamacare, which sparked a wave of backlash for the national restaurant chain over the past few days. Metz released a statement Monday night expressing "regret" over his statements.

"We recognize his right to speak on issues, but registered our disappointment that his comments have been interpreted as the company’s position," Miller said in an email to The Huffington Post.

Miller is rushing to put out the fire sparked by Metz's controversial proposal to charge restaurant customers a 5 percent Obamacare fee. "Customers have two choices: They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server," Metz told HuffPost in an interview last week.

Some Denny's franchisees have since dealt with angry customers, calls for a boycott and declining sales. A spokeswoman for Metz said he will not conduct more interviews.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/john-metz-dennys-obamacare-surcharge-_n_2146735.html
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 10:41
    Originally posted by moon1969
    This is a few days old, but still highlights how Obamacare is here to stay and will be a part of our culture. Obamacare will go down as the greatest accomplishment of America in the early 21st century.

[quote][b]John Metz Denny's Obamacare Surcharge Stirs Big Mess For Restaurant Chain

Don't expect to hear more about an Obamacare surcharge from De ...[text shortened]... uffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/john-metz-dennys-obamacare-surcharge-_n_2146735.html[/b]
    Awesome.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 23:06
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Awesome.
    It really a great accomplishment for America to finally have healthcare reform. Kudos to the President.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 23:16
    It really a great accomplishment for America to finally have healthcare reform. Kudos to the President.
    Also kudos to Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi for getting it to Obama's desk over the collective temper tantrum of the entire Republican congressional caucus.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 06:58
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Also kudos to Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi for getting it to Obama's desk over the collective temper tantrum of the entire Republican congressional caucus.
    Yes
  6. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 12:58

[quote][b]John Metz Denny's Obamacare Surcharge Stirs Big Mess For Restaurant Chain

Don't expect to hear more about an Obamacare surcharge from De ...[text shortened]... uffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/john-metz-dennys-obamacare-surcharge-_n_2146735.html[/b]
    Obamacare will go down as the greatest accomplishment of America in the early 21st century.

I sincerely hope you're wrong as something still needs to happen on tax reform and reducing deficit spending. I can't believe you're willing to call passing a bill that many congressmen didn't even read a great accomplishment, yet it's republicans you claim are stupid. Nancy Pelosi, a champion of this legislation, didn't even understand the bill she was voting on. Do I even need to post her famous quote? Oh, all right, get your popcorn
    YouTube
    Here's another of the president speaking about it
    YouTube&feature=fvst
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 13:124 edits
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Obamacare will go down as the greatest accomplishment of America in the early 21st century.

I sincerely hope you're wrong as something still needs to happen on tax reform and reducing deficit spending. I can't believe you're willing to call passing a bill that many congressmen didn't even read a great accomplishment, yet it's republicans you claim are st the president speaking about it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGS8re8cIVI&feature=fvst
    Your points are moot. The healthcare reform will go down in the history books as the number one accomplishment by America in the early 21st century.

The politics of it will be merely be a footnote, or only for the poly sci majors. In the high school textbooks, it will be about the huge advancement in healthcare reform, analogous to the way social security is discussed in the pubic school history books. There was strenuous opposition to social security, but such is only an afterthought in the typical history class.

With regard to reading about the healthcare reform, the kids will think how odd and inhumane that in America, people (including the working poor) were once left without health insurance, especially in a country of such opulence and wealth.

It may be likely that the phrase "Obamacare" will be in the books, but in any case, America's greatest accomplishment of the time will be associated with President Obama, kind of like social security is associated with Roosevelt.

I do not want to belittle the budget and tax issues that America and President Obama will resolve and advance for the better, but I promise you such will not reach the historical level of healthcare reform. A long standing need to deal with the uninsured and healthcare costs, long attempted by Presidents for decades, and finally delivered by President Obama in the early 21st century. Will be the crowning jewel of his achievements of his 8 years in office.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 14:51
    Your points are moot. The healthcare reform will go down in the history books as the number one accomplishment by America in the early 21st century.

The politics of it will be merely be a footnote, or only for the poly sci majors. In the high school textbooks, it will be about the huge advancement in healthcare reform, analogous to the way social sec ...[text shortened]... early 21st century. Will be the crowning jewel of his achievements of his 8 years in office.
    The ACA is hardly the huge reform you're making it out to be. It's a thousand small changes that don't change the basics of the system. Rather, it increases regulation and increases subsidies. The creation of healthcare exchanges by states is the closest thing to a game changer in the bill.

I think the jury's out on whether the ACA is not merely a stopgap until real reform occurs; but even if it does turn out to be a success, I don't think it's as big a change as the creation of Medicare and Medicaid.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 15:29

The politics of it will be merely be a footnote, or only for the poly sci majors. In the high school textbooks, it will be about the huge advancement in healthcare reform, analogous to the way social sec ...[text shortened]... early 21st century. Will be the crowning jewel of his achievements of his 8 years in office.
    When your ideological brethren control the press, most of academia, and a lot of on air media, almost anything may be hailed as whatever they want to say it is.

You have the same sound as the victorious Bolsheviks in 1917. It took a few years for Russians to see and understand what the revolution really meant, and a few decades for it to completely disintegrate. We are soon going to see that ACA is more and less than it's cracked up to be, and in the meantime, unemployed Americans won't be celebrating.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 15:31
    Originally posted by sh76
    The ACA is hardly the huge reform you're making it out to be. It's a thousand small changes that don't change the basics of the system. Rather, it increases regulation and increases subsidies. The creation of healthcare exchanges by states is the closest thing to a game changer in the bill.

I think the jury's out on whether the ACA is not merely a stopgap un ...[text shortened]... be a success, I don't think it's as big a change as the creation of Medicare and Medicaid.
    "even if it does turn out to be a success, I don't think it's as big a change as the creation of Medicare and Medicaid."

And of course everyone knows that both of those programs are on life support. When are good intentions going to be not enough?
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 19:34
    Originally posted by normbenign
    When are good intentions going to be not enough?
    When society decides it's acceptable to euthanize grandma rather than do the hip surgery.
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 19:39

Something about you makes me want to take a flamethrower down to the nearest ghetto and set it alight. It's not them. It's you.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 00:08
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Something about you makes me want to take a flamethrower down to the nearest ghetto and set it alight. It's not them. It's you.
    Well, you've got the Himmler vote locked with that sentiment.
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 11:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    When your ideological brethren control the press, most of academia, and a lot of on air media, almost anything may be hailed as whatever they want to say it is.
    True. So you are apparently agreeing it possible that healthcare reform will go down in the history books as America's greatest accomplishment in the early 21st century.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 11:45
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    They would spank your ass in the ghetto, and you would be crying for big government to come help/save you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree