1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 18:321 edit
    http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/2010/01/13/nv-sen-poll-reids-numbers-tank/

I know. I know.

It's early, right?

Thank having been said...

Dirty Harry is toast

Toast, I tell ya, Toast.

If the Dems are smart, they'll convince him to resign (or retire; maybe he can want to spend more time with his family or something) or primary him. If they can do it to Joe Lieberman, they can do it to Dirty Harry.

Otherwise, they're going to lose a Senate leader in an election for the second time in 6 years.

What a darn tootin' shame!

Whodey and I will miss him.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 03:15
    Hey, somebody respond.

I don't want to get FMF's seed wasted against the tree (or something to that effect) award for 2010! 😠
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 03:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    Hey, somebody respond.
    OK. Harry is indeed toast. And good riddance.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 03:26
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    OK. Harry is indeed toast. And good riddance.
    There ya go! 🙂
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 03:31
    http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/2010/01/13/nv-sen-poll-reids-numbers-tank/

I know. I know.

It's early, right?

Thank having been said...

Dirty Harry is toast

Toast, I tell ya, Toast.

If the Dems are smart, they'll convince him to resign (or retire; maybe he can want to spend more time with his family or something) or primary him. ...[text shortened]... or the second time in 6 years.

What a darn tootin' shame!

Whodey and I will miss him.
    Premature celebration. Neither Republican gained any significant support in the polls and it's not surprising that Reid's approval would drop in the middle of the non-story regarding his comments. He's got plenty of time to recover from his terrible sin of speaking the truth.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 03:38
    Hey, somebody respond. I don't want to get FMF's seed wasted against the tree (or something to that effect) award for 2010!
    Not to worry. It seems someone caught it in their hands. It was not wasted.
  7. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 05:53
    Six months ago I would have loved this, but that man seems to have grown a spine.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 05:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not to worry. It seems someone caught it in their hands. It was not wasted.
    😲
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 14:15
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Premature celebration. Neither Republican gained any significant support in the polls and it's not surprising that Reid's approval would drop in the middle of the non-story regarding his comments. He's got plenty of time to recover from his terrible sin of speaking the truth.
    Speaking the truth is a sin politicians rarely recover from.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 14:272 edits
    In all seriousness, of course I know that it's not over and that a lot can change in 10 months. I think that Reid still probably has roughly a 35-40% chance of being re-elected if he wins the nomination. I'm just doing a little trash talking; that's all.

Nevada has got to be among the strangest electoral states in the country. On the one hand, it has the reputation of being a "machine" state. On the other hand, its population is so diverse politically it's amazing. You have large Mormon and Catholic populations. But you also have a very large Hispanic population and, of course, you have the crowd drawn by the liberal social policies the state is famous for. Nevada is notoriously hard to poll accurately.

I will say this though, incumbents down consistently by double digits early in the race rarely come back to win.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, there's probably a large intersection between the Catholic and Hispanic populations. But the Mormon population is not doubt still very socially conservative.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 14:44
    Speaking the truth is a sin politicians rarely recover from.
    Sad but true.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 15:06
    In all seriousness, of course I know that it's not over and that a lot can change in 10 months. I think that Reid still probably has roughly a 35-40% chance of being re-elected if he wins the nomination. I'm just doing a little trash talking; that's all.

Nevada has got to be among the strangest electoral states in the country. On the one hand, it has the rep ...[text shortened]... , incumbents down consistently by double digits early in the race rarely come back to win.
    No poll had him down double digits to any of the Republican challengers until this recent dust up and that's with Nevada having a 12.3% unemployment rate and the second highest mortgage foreclosure rates in the country (stats courtesy of the WSJ which had a front page article on Reid yesterday). Reid's expected to amass $25 million to run the campaign and he's pretty tough in Nevada historically; he beat Nevada's other Senator in a good Republican year 1998.

Nevada's a tossup state and that's where I put the election; it probably depends on whether the economy shows improvement and whether the Dems can nick whoever the GOP runs.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 15:40
    No poll had him down double digits to any of the Republican challengers until this recent dust up and that's with Nevada having a 12.3% unemployment rate and the second highest mortgage foreclosure rates in the country (stats courtesy of the WSJ which had a front page article on Reid yesterday). Reid's expected to amass $25 million to run the campaign an ...[text shortened]... whether the economy shows improvement and whether the Dems can nick whoever the GOP runs.
    1998 was not a good GOP year. = in the senate and -5 in the House in the 6th year of a Dem Presidency?

1998 was a GOP disaster that led Newt Gingrich to immediately resign from Congress.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 15:47
    1998 was not a good GOP year. = in the senate and -5 in the House in the 6th year of a Dem Presidency?

1998 was a GOP disaster that led Newt Gingrich to immediately resign from Congress.
    Breaking even when you have a 55-45 majority is a good result.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 16:46
    skin of their teeth ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree