1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:15
    Putting politics aside, there have been so many disclosures about US government malfeasance in such a compressed time frame that I wonder if this period is statistically significant in terms of "coincidence" or coordination.

On May 10, two scandals broke: the Justice Department disclosed it sought AP reporters' phone records in leak investigation. The same day, Lois Lerner disclosed improper targeting of nonprofit groups by the IRS.

Scarcely a month later, the National Security Agency is revealed to be conducting virtually unlimited surveillance on American citizens suspected of no wrongdoing. The surveillance capability and storage capacity of the NSA, along with the eavesdropping activity conducted by the government, is breathtaking in scope and almost certainly unconstitutional.

What's going on here? Government hasn't made this poor a case for itself since, well, Iraq and the whole yellowcake uranium/mobile chemical weapons factories debacle. With disclosures of these magnitudes occurring in such rapid succession, and in such diverse agencies (albeit all under the executive branch) - I mean it's beyond fantasy that there could be a single, hidden hand controlling these revelations, not to mention a conspiracy theorist's wet dream, but - does it seem odd to have this many stories painting the government in a negative light all coming out at once?
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:23
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Putting politics aside, there have been so many disclosures about US government malfeasance in such a compressed time frame that I wonder if this period is statistically significant in terms of "coincidence" or coordination.

On May 10, two scandals broke: the Justice Department disclosed it sought AP reporters' phone records in leak investigation. ...[text shortened]... ave this many stories painting the government in a negative light all coming out at once?
    I have not checked the dates but If my memory serves me correct, these "scandals" and leaks began coming out right after the Bengazi whistle blower hearings.
    Sound right ?
  3. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:26
    It's become cool to ignore a top secret clearance if the media makes you out to be a hero and all the sheep swallow it.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:36
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    It's become cool to ignore a top secret clearance if the media makes you out to be a hero and all the sheep swallow it.
    Bro, there's no way I can sign up for a surveillance state. The abuses that can occur will occur. Combine the IRS targeting political groups with the NSA's ability to listen, without a warrant, on any phone call involving anyone it chooses, add a dash of unscrupulous executive and you have a situation that makes Nixon look like a shining beacon of good governance. And we're only missing that final ingredient. We're one step short of the disappearance of the rule of law. We've already beholden the spectacle of a senior government official stating on national television, "The law is irrelevant".
  5. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:421 edit
    Bro, there's no way I can sign up for a surveillance state. The abuses that can occur will occur. Combine the IRS targeting political groups with the NSA's ability to listen, without a warrant, on any phone call involving anyone it chooses, add a dash of unscrupulous executive and you have a situation that makes Nixon look like a shining beacon of goo of a senior government official stating on national television, "The law is irrelevant".
    As I understand it, the NSA was keeping track of phone records, not conversations, just like the phone company does for billing purposes.
    Big whoop-te-do, so what?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:49

On May 10, two scandals broke: the Justice Department disclosed it sought AP reporters' phone records in leak investigation. ...[text shortened]... ave this many stories painting the government in a negative light all coming out at once?
    Think Benghazi, and Fast and Furious.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:51
    As I understand it, the NSA was keeping track of phone records, not conversations, just like the phone company does for billing purposes.
    They already have the capability of scanning all electronic communications for key words, and can kick out what they want for inspection. Echelon. The new program just is another means of filtering the conversations.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:51

Maybe this administration has political opposition who has something to gain by making it look bad.

It COULD happen.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Maybe this administration has political opposition who has something to gain by making it look bad.

It COULD happen.
    Perhaps it looks bad, because it is bad. That COULD happen as well.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 16:58
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Perhaps it looks bad, because it is bad. That COULD happen as well.
    But that doesn't explain Sasquatch's observation that the timing of the stories seems to be guided by some organized entity.

You know, elections are in November...aren't they? Or is that next year?
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    But that doesn't explain Sasquatch's observation that the timing of the stories seems to be guided by some organized entity.

You know, elections are in November...aren't they? Or is that next year?
    Midterms are in 2014. It is possible that the administration is dumping on itself, making each offense look less offensive, by the number of offenses.
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 17:01
    So, you're not paying attention. Mr. Snowden stated that he had the authority to wiretap any American citizen, without a warrant. They can listen, in real time, to anyone at any time, without a warrant.

You're ok with that?
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 17:15
    So, you're not paying attention. Mr. Snowden stated that he had the authority to wiretap any American citizen, without a warrant. They can listen, in real time, to anyone at any time, without a warrant.

You're ok with that?
    This really isn't a change, but an enhancement to the old Echelon system. The more filtration methods, the fewer calls, texts or emails they have to actually listen to.
  14. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 17:33

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 21:29
    Maybe the Chinese dunnit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree