1. Pepperland
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 17:20
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't know about Europe. But in the United States, you do have the right to be a bigot. If you have a private club and want to exclude blacks or Jews or whatever, that's your right.

It's called "freedom of association" and it's guaranteed under the First Amendment.

It does not apply to public accomodations or to anything open to the public (or to busine ...[text shortened]... once quipped regarding one of these clubs "I'm only half Jewish. Can I play 9 holes?"
    I don't know about Europe. But in the United States, you do have the right to be a bigot. If you have a private club and want to exclude blacks or Jews or whatever, that's your right.

but thats not the case elsewhere. In brazil for example, you're forbidden to be a bigot:

"the law shall punish any discrimination which may attempt against fundamental rights and liberties;"

and "the practice of racism is a non-bailable crime, with no limitation, subject to the penalty of confinement, under the terms of the law;"
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 17:33
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    [b]I don't know about Europe. But in the United States, you do have the right to be a bigot. If you have a private club and want to exclude blacks or Jews or whatever, that's your right.

but thats not the case elsewhere. In brazil for example, you're forbidden to be a bigot:

"the law shall punish any discrimination which may attempt against f ...[text shortened]... , with no limitation, subject to the penalty of confinement, under the terms of the law;"[/b]
    Interesting. How are those terms defined?

"the law shall punish any discrimination"

"the practice of racism is a non-bailable crime"

Those phrases sound so vague and so open to interpretation as to be practically meaningless.
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 17:38
    Originally posted by sh76
    Interesting. How are those terms defined?

"the law shall punish any discrimination"

"the practice of racism is a non-bailable crime"

Those phrases sound so vague and so open to interpretation as to be practically meaningless.
    well it basically means you can't discriminate people because of their color,religion, etc,etc.

therefore, in brazil you wouldn't be allowed to have a club that won't accept blacks or jews, because it would unconstitutional.

how exactly?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree