1. Joined
    02 Mar '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '14 18:48
    what does it matter what any modern president thinks or feels the capitalist system is in its death throes and we are witness to a sideshow of history
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '14 18:561 edit
    Originally posted by camdenyoruba
    what does it matter what any modern president thinks or feels the capitalist system is in its death throes and we are witness to a sideshow of history
    Pretty much everything is on its death throes it seems, the planet, the environment, freedom, humanity etc.

The only think that seems to be alive and well is tyranny. It has ruled the hearts of men since the dawn of time and it always will.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '14 19:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So why do so few people choose that option?
    They haven't realized that there is a better option out there? They have too much pride to take from others? There are many possible reasons?
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 00:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    Why else would he fight so hard for Obamacare? That certainly does not benefit the rich. Neither does making the rich pay higher taxes.
    Obama knows how to count registered voters, and their tendencies to actually vote. His spoken rhetoric is populist, favoring the poor and middle class, but cynically he knows that the dependable voters are seniors, and the upper middle class.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 00:29
    Originally posted by JS357
    Apparently Obama doesn't care enough to try to win over the likes of Whodey.
    Every politician has written off parts of the electorate.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 00:34
    If you inspect the graph carefully, you'll notice that most of the increase in government spending comes from an increase in state and local spending.

The number of laws, by itself, does not mean much. Not all laws take an equal effort to enforce. Many of them may not even be effectively enforced at all. Some laws may replace and simplify others. Eve ...[text shortened]... admitting your claim was false), there isn't much to be concluded from just the number of laws.
    The problem with modern legislation, is the tendency to create new agencies which administer the new law. These bureaucracies in effect make law, so that bills containing 3,000 lines of code, may have 15 or 20 times that much defining regulations.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 06:21
    Originally posted by Eladar
    They haven't realized that there is a better option out there? They have too much pride to take from others? There are many possible reasons?
    So why automatically assume that people are going to stay at home collecting benefits en masse?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 06:21
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The problem with modern legislation, is the tendency to create new agencies which administer the new law. These bureaucracies in effect make law, so that bills containing 3,000 lines of code, may have 15 or 20 times that much defining regulations.
    Can you back that statement up with empirical evidence?
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 15:03
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Donating 3.6% is actually not a lot, but maybe it depends who one compares him to. To me, that's nothing, to you, perhaps it does seem like a lot. That's fine. Everyone probably has their own idea about how much is "a lot". But how much one gives to charity is an excellent indicator of how much one is willing to put THEIR money where their mouth is. A ...[text shortened]... e your dreams, spend more time with your family, and tuck your kids in at night. Ah, paradise.
    It's all relative to your income. Many family making $50,000 per year can't afford to give even 1% of their income.

Billionaires can give 80% of their income without even affecting their quality of life.

But let me give you a taste of your knuckle dragger logic. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, both Liberals, both give a higher percent of their income to Charity than Romney. Ergo, "Liberals are more generous than Conservatives."

And by the way, donations to a church is NOT... NOT.. a "charitable" donation. Some if it can be indirectly, if the church is using the money to do good things with it, but every cent spent on big fancy buildings with expensive stainglass windows, leasing prime real estate property, paying employees so the preacher can drive a Mercedes, etc. is NOT money spent helping the poor.
  10. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 18:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    As Obama demagogues about wanting to help the poor and the middle class, the poor increase and the middle class decrease.

I say it's all Reagans fault!! 😛😵
    Reagan's dead, how is it his fault? Heck, for that matter let's blame the southern states. Aren't they the ones that imported the slaves in the first place?

That is so stupid, We deal with the hand we are all dealt with. Policies that were in affect years ago are long gone. What policies that Reagan did in his term are still in affect now?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 18:59
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Reagan's dead, how is it his fault? Heck, for that matter let's blame the southern states. Aren't they the ones that imported the slaves in the first place?

That is so stupid, We deal with the hand we are all dealt with. Policies that were in affect years ago are long gone. What policies that Reagan did in his term are still in affect now?
    I'm just repeating what I hear people on the left say.

Sure it's ignorant, I was just poking some fun at them.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 20:21
    I'm just repeating what I hear people on the left say.

Sure it's ignorant, I was just poking some fun at them.
    Sorry sometimes the tongue in cheek humor evades me
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 20:27
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    It's all relative to your income. Many family making $50,000 per year can't afford to give even 1% of their income.

Billionaires can give 80% of their income without even affecting their quality of life.

But let me give you a taste of your knuckle dragger logic. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, both Liberals, both give a higher percent of thei ...[text shortened]... paying employees so the preacher can drive a Mercedes, etc. is NOT money spent helping the poor.
    There is something that is totally overlooked when millionaires/billionaires give money to charity. They don't really give anything. If there is a loss in profits, they just up the cost. Take a look at the oil companies. 40 billion profit in a quarter of a year. Oh, ok the oil company donated 100 million to a charity. Then upped the price of oil.
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 20:30
    Pretty much everything is on its death throes it seems, the planet, the environment, freedom, humanity etc.

The only think that seems to be alive and well is tyranny. It has ruled the hearts of men since the dawn of time and it always will.
    not to get religion on you, but perfect timing for a nutcase to appear and be the worlds savior.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 00:50
    Can you back that statement up with empirical evidence?
    In the US, it is an accepted fact, not subject to partisan debate.

Do you need "empirical evidence" that poop stinks?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree