1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:11
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/05/17/rod_rosenstein_names_robert_mueller_to_oversee_russia_investigation.html

And it's ex-FBI Director Robert Mueller who is empowered to investigate "“any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump” as well as “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation".

Interesting.
  2. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:24
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/05/17/rod_rosenstein_names_robert_mueller_to_oversee_russia_investigation.html

And it's ex-FBI Director Robert Mueller who is empowered to investigate "“any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump” as well as “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation".

Interesting.
    Hummm....
    "As special counsel, Mueller will be authorized to bring criminal charges if he believes they are warranted, though it’s worth noting, per this this explainer from the New York Times, that his authority is not absolute, and that he can still be fired or overruled."
    Not very independent is it?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:25
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Hummm....
    [b]"As special counsel, Mueller will be authorized to bring criminal charges if he believes they are warranted, though it’s worth noting, per this this explainer from the New York Times, that his authority is not absolute, and that he can still be fired or overruled."

Not very independent is it?[/b]
    There's no such thing at a Federal level as a prosecutor who can act wholly independently of the DOJ AFAIK.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:301 edit
    Hummm....
    [b]"As special counsel, Mueller will be authorized to bring criminal charges if he believes they are warranted, though it’s worth noting, per this this explainer from the New York Times, that his authority is not absolute, and that he can still be fired or overruled."

Not very independent is it?[/b]
    Mueller is pretty well respected; Obama asked him to serve two years beyond his 10 year term at FBI. The move has met with initial approval across the political spectrum including from Bernie Sanders:

Robert Mueller’s appointment is a positive step. I am hopeful that he will help us get to the bottom of the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia.

From Adam Schiff ranking Democrat on House Intelligence Committee:

Appointment of special counsel is very positive. Mueller is a solid choice who will help reestablish public confidence in FBI investigation:
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:42
    Mueller is pretty well respected; Obama asked him to serve two years beyond his 10 year term at FBI. The move has met with initial approval across the political spectrum including from Bernie Sanders:

Robert Mueller’s appointment is a positive step. I am hopeful that he will help us get to the bottom of the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia.

From Ada ...[text shortened]... ive. Mueller is a solid choice who will help reestablish public confidence in FBI investigation:
    I agree. However, If Dump can just keep firing anyone that he does not agree with in the investigation against him, What is the point? I have nothing against Mueller either. My concern is that Dump can just keep firing those who are truthful in their investigation against him. That's all.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:431 edit
    The President, of course, sees things a bit differently looking forward to this matter "concluding quickly" since an "investigation will confirm what we already know - there was no collusion between my campaign and any foreign entity". https://twitter.com/ABC/status/864985412787425280?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

EDIT: I note that Trump's statement might be considered to be "lawyerly" as what Mueller will be investigating i.e. "“any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump” as well as “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation". is far broader than direct collusion between Trump's campaign and any "foreign entity".
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:44
    I agree. However, If Dump can just keep firing anyone that he does not agree with in the investigation against him, What is the point? I have nothing against Mueller either. My concern is that Dump can just keep firing those who are truthful in their investigation against him. That's all.
    Firing Mueller would be political suicide after the Comey disaster.
  8. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    17 May '17 23:492 edits
    Firing Mueller would be political suicide after the Comey disaster.
    Well, we have watched dump commit political suicide about 10 times in the last six months. All his billionaire friends have him well covered big time. I hope you are correct.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:071 edit

From Ada ...[text shortened]... ive. Mueller is a solid choice who will help reestablish public confidence in FBI investigation:
    Well, this is good news. I fully expect that the next FBI director will be a Trump toady, so an independent investigator will take this on, regardless of if the director doesn't deem it "important enough" to investigate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree