15 Apr '10 01:58
    Originally posted by kmax87
    No chance, no point even bothering?
    You tell us
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 02:17
    I was under the impression that poverty was an issue of virtue in U.S. culture. Virtue breeds wealth. Wealth rewards virtue. The poor are simply who they are and what they are. Have I got it right?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 02:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was under the impression that poverty was an issue of virtue in U.S. culture. Virtue breeds wealth. Wealth rewards virtue. The poor are simply who they are and what they are. Have I got it right?
    What?
  5. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 09:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Congratulations. Everyone is who he/she is and what she he/she is. How did you come to that profound insight into human nature?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 09:22
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    How did you come to that profound insight into human nature?
    Easy. I did it by operating on a completely different level to you and in so doing conjured profundity out of thin air.
  7. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 09:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    Easy. I did it by operating on a completely different level to you and in so doing conjured profundity out of thin air.
    Clever Dick!
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 09:53
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    Clever Dick!
    If you want to start a thread about your inability to process irony, then be our guest. 😴
  9. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 19:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not virtue -- work (i.e. satisfying a customer).

Satisfying customers breeds wealth. Wealth rewards satisfying customers.

The poor are those who either can't make it happen due to some sort of disability, don't understand the system, or get it but don't want to bother.

Most Americans are willing to help out the first group quite a lot and the second group to some extent with educational programs. They are not willing to help out the third group.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 20:38
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Not virtue -- work (i.e. satisfying a customer).

Satisfying customers breeds wealth. Wealth rewards satisfying customers.

The poor are those who either can't make it happen due to some sort of disability, don't understand the system, or get it but don't want to bother.

Most Americans are willing to help out the first group quite a lot and the s ...[text shortened]... p to some extent with educational programs. They are not willing to help out the third group.
    Satisfaction isn't proportional to price.
  11. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 05:29
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Satisfaction isn't proportional to price.
    True. Supply and demand determine price.

There is a loose correlation between the notion of "hard work" and reward because if something is easy work with a high reward, everyone would do it - -and then competition among suppliers would drive the reward down.

However, hard work that satisfies no customer is not rewarded any more than easy work that satisfies no customer.

As for virtue, "Virtue is its own reward."
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 06:47

There is a loose correlation between the notion of "hard work" and reward because if something is easy work with a high reward, everyone would do it - -and then competition among suppliers would drive the reward down.

However, hard work that satisfies no customer is not rewarded any more than easy work that satisfies no customer.

I know people who work very hard and very long hours in hotels, with very happy customers, for poor pay.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 07:13

There are plenty of jobs with very easy work and very high pay. But it may not always be easy to obtain such a job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree