1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Oct '09 20:591 edit
    Tonight's the big night. Uruguayans are going to the polls to elect a new president. My money is on Jose "Pepe" Mujica of the Broad Front (social-democrat). Also running are Luis LaCalle of the National Party (right-wing liberal conservative), and Pedro Bordaberry of the Colorado Party (liberal). Pre-election polls show Mujica in the lead, but probably requiring a second round.

Come on, "Pepe", give 'em hell!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8320229.stm
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 02:10
    Exit polls are showing Mujica leading Lacalle by 48% to 30%. A run-off election may have to be held on November 29th. It will be a great victory for the people of Uruguay.

An interesting thing about Uruguay is that they have an element of direct democracy in their political process, with many issues being decided by referendum. The people are able to directly vote on certain things. They have used it most notably to stop privatization of public utilities companies, to defend pensioners' incomes, and to protect water resources. When democracy is given a chance to work, the piratical "free" market gutting of a nation's infrastructure is inevitably voted down. Such anti-social measures can only be implemented by subverting democratic processes.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 02:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Tonight's the big night. Uruguayans are going to the polls to elect a new president. My money is on Jose "Pepe" Mujica of the Broad Front (social-democrat). Also running are Luis LaCalle of the National Party (right-wing liberal conservative), and Pedro Bordaberry of the Colorado Party (liberal). Pre-election polls show Mujica in the lead, but probably requ ...[text shortened]... .

Come on, "Pepe", give 'em hell!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8320229.stm
    I am rooting for Shockazuloo from the "whodey" tribe. They are in favor or privatizing the government. 😛
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 02:26
    An interesting thing about Uruguay is that they have an element of direct democracy in their political process, with many issues being decided by referendum.
    that's like, you know... the whole point of a republic... the people get to vote on important stuff.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 12:28
    Originally posted by trev33
    that's like, you know... the whole point of a republic... the people get to vote on important stuff.
    In most republican forms of government all the people get to vote on is who their representatives will be. They seldom, if ever, get to vote directly on the legislation that affects them.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 13:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    I am rooting for Shockazuloo from the "whodey" tribe. They are in favor or privatizing the government. 😛
    Privatize government, Whodey, and you will have dismantled the last faltering line of defense against the unbridled avarice of multi-national corporations. The full fury of the impending corporatocracy will then be unleashed upon you in all its horror. If you want to know what the apocalypse looks like, that will be it.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 14:50
    In most republican forms of government all the people get to vote on is who their representatives will be. They seldom, if ever, get to vote directly on the legislation that affects them.
    for me a true republic is one that does hold referendums on the key issues, switzerland being a fine example. i know this isn't the case in most so called republics but if you take the literal meaning of republic in spanish where it originated it means 'a public affair' i know you could say that by voting for their members of government the people are getting to decide on the outcome of their countries affairs but when you have the possibility of a law to be passed that more that 50% of the population disagree with i fail to see how you can call that country a republic. america being top of that list, it's laughable it's officially a republic...
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 16:52
    Originally posted by trev33
    for me a true republic is one that does hold referendums on the key issues, switzerland being a fine example. i know this isn't the case in most so called republics but if you take the literal meaning of republic in spanish where it originated it means 'a public affair' i know you could say that by voting for their members of government the people are getting ...[text shortened]... ry a republic. america being top of that list, it's laughable it's officially a republic...
    Direct democracy and republicanism are not synonymous.

Republic (from dictionary.com)
    a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

The hallmark of a republican form of government is that it is a representative democracy and not a direct one. The Uruguayan system has a mix of the two. I think it would do us well to move in that direction ourselves, to have more citizen participation in the passing of legislation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree