Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Jun '09 18:18
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8096411.stm

There has been a huge turnout for Iran's closely-fought election as incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad seeks a second term in office.
    "Voter turnout has been unprecedented," election commission chief Kamran Daneshjoo said, as long queues were reported at polling stations.
    Polling has been extended by at least another four hours.

Mr Ahmadinejad faces a strong challenge from former PM Mir Hossein Mousavi in a campaign dominated by the economy.
    The election is being watched closely around the world for signs of a possible shift in Tehran's attitude.
    US President Barack Obama said he was "excited" about what was happening in Iran, which showed change was possible.
    "Ultimately the election is for the Iranians to decide," he said.
    "You're seeing people looking at new possibilities. And whoever ends up winning the election in Iran, the fact that there's been a robust debate hopefully will help advance our ability to engage them in new ways."

If no candidate gets 50% in the first round, the two front-runners will face a run-off vote.

There has been a surge of interest recently in Iran's presidential election, with unprecedented live television debates between the candidates and rallies attended by thousands.
    Mr Daneshjoo has said the turnout could exceed the 1997 election, in which reformist Mohammad Khatami was elected. State-run Irna TV said more than five million people cast their vote in the first four hours of voting.

The country's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and both the leading candidates voted early in the day, calling on Iranians to exercise their right to choose the country's next president.
    "I recommend them to just vote based on their own views and decisions," Ayatollah Khamenei said as he voted.
    "God willing, the best and the most deserving person will be elected as the head of the executive body for a four-year period."

Mr Ahmadinejad thanked the people of Iran "for their goodness, for their greatness, for their selflessness, their sacrifices, and for their forgiveness".

Mr Mousavi said simply: "God willing, with the nationwide participation of the public, we will see better and more beautiful days."

Lets hope Iran gets some change, but if Ahmadinejad wins we can only hope the CIA gets him killed.
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Jun '09 18:46
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8096411.stm

[b]There has been a huge turnout for Iran's closely-fought election as incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad seeks a second term in office.

"Voter turnout has been unprecedented," election commission chief Kamran Daneshjoo said, as long queues were reported at polling stations.
    Pollin ...[text shortened]... change, but if Ahmadinejad wins we can only hope the CIA gets him killed.[/b]
    So, if the people of Iran make the "wrong" choice, you feel it is OK for foreigners to kill their President?

No wonder you liked the 1973 coup in Chile .............................
  3. 12 Jun '09 18:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    So, if the people of Iran make the "wrong" choice, you feel it is OK for foreigners to kill their President?

No wonder you liked the 1973 coup in Chile .............................
    I thought you were in favor of US intervention in other countries.

But no, I wasn't serious.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Jun '09 18:51
    I thought you were in favor of US intervention in other countries.

But no, I wasn't serious.
    Where did I ever say such a thing?

It's hard to tell with you; most of your positions are so ridiculous, I think you're not serious but than it turns out you are.
  5. 12 Jun '09 19:07 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Where did I ever say such a thing?

It's hard to tell with you; most of your positions are so ridiculous, I think you're not serious but than it turns out you are.
    You know what Im talking about.

You got it all wrong. I did support the '73 coup. I was joking about getting the CIA to kill ammadinejad.
    You don't think your positions are ridiculous?
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Jun '09 19:51
    You know what Im talking about.

You got it all wrong. I did support the '73 coup. I was joking about getting the CIA to kill ammadinejad.
    You don't think your positions are ridiculous?
    No, I really don't.

Since you supported the 1973 coup (which was backed by the CIA), why would I assume you were joking about killing the President of Iran? The 1973 coup killed an elected President.
  7. 12 Jun '09 19:54
    Viva Iran!
  8. 13 Jun '09 16:13
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Viva Iran!
    yeah, it looks like we're gonna have to wait a few more years in order to have a moderate leader in Iran.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    13 Jun '09 16:43
    yeah, it looks like we're gonna have to wait a few more years in order to have a moderate leader in Iran.
    We were getting there 1996ish-2000 but then it becamse U.S. policy to rebuff what progress there had been in the interests of ratchetting up the conflict. Remember?
  10. 13 Jun '09 16:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    We were getting there 1996ish-2000 but then it becamse U.S. policy to rebuff what progress there had been in the interests of ratchetting up the conflict. Remember?
    True.

But two wrongs don't make one right.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    13 Jun '09 16:47
    True.

But two wrongs don't make one right.
    What two wrongs?
  12. 13 Jun '09 16:50
    Could you imagine a leader in Iran who talked about making peace with Israel? He would be shot on site and declared an infidel.
  13. 13 Jun '09 16:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    What two wrongs?
    hostility on both sides.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    13 Jun '09 16:54
    hostility on both sides.
    You have been a consistent and vocal champion of hostility towards Iran on this Forum. Are you now admitting it was wrong of you?
  15. 13 Jun '09 17:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    You have been a consistent and vocal champion of hostility towards Iran on this Forum. Are you now admitting it was wrong of you?
    Not at all, but then again, Im not in the government.

I think Iran should calm down now that Obama seems to be engaging with the muslim world.