This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Nov '18 19:11
    LHC deserves a mention.

Any modern processor has roughly 10 billion transistors and are insanely complex. I just thought I'd mention something small since everyone seems to want to talk about big stuff.

Stonehenge and the other megalithic sites dotted around North West Europe just because of the difficulty for the civilizations that were around then in constructing these things.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Nov '18 21:02
    @deepthought said
    Stonehenge and the other megalithic sites dotted around North West Europe just because of the difficulty for the civilizations that were around then in constructing these things.
    They were built the Great Pyramid at Giza while Stonehenge was going up!
  4. Standard memberXYYZ
    The 'Fett'
    Phx
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 11:041 edit
    @deepthought said
    LHC deserves a mention.
    LHC- Yes! The engineering is impressive., But more important is the valuable data they are gathering as the result of smashing particles into one another at close to the speed of light. These 'physical' experiments are bringing us closer to a grand unified theory, (damn you gravity)
  5. Standard memberXYYZ
    The 'Fett'
    Phx
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 11:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    They weren't ignored. And yes, it was constructed without much regard to human life. But this thread is about the marvels of engineering upon completion- not the sacrifices those men and women made during construction. That discussion deserves its own thread.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 13:25
    @ponderable said
    as you can the "chinese wall" another marvel 😉
    No, that's the point: that's a myth, you can't. It's just a few yards wide, no chance of seeing it from anywhere that can reasonably be called "space" without a spy sat - maybe not even with. Our polders are kilometers wide in all direction, and I have a satelite photo of them from as far back as the 80s.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 14:22
    @shallow-blue said
    No, that's the point: that's a myth, you can't. It's just a few yards wide, no chance of seeing it from anywhere that can reasonably be called "space" without a spy sat - maybe not even with. Our polders are kilometers wide in all direction, and I have a satelite photo of them from as far back as the 80s.
    Ahh the Dutch with their below sea level water excavation mastery.

They did scar me for life the Dutch did, like the story of when the little kid stuck his finger in the Duke, and he turned blue.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 02:16
    @xyyz said
    I'll start: and not just the U.S- engineers from all over the world
    -The Panama canal
    I like this one: A man, a plan, a canal. PANAMA.......
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 02:17
    @kmax87

Who, the Duke or the kid? I guess it depends on just where the kid stuck his thumb in the Duke.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 02:22
    @wolfgang59 said
    They were built the Great Pyramid at Giza while Stonehenge was going up!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

Thought to be almost 12,000 years old! The first monoliths it would appear, literally 6000 odd years before any of the pyramids.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 05:11
    Roman roads, aqueducts, bridges etc
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 13:45
    @kmax87 said
    Ahh the Dutch with their below sea level water excavation mastery.

They did scar me for life the Dutch did, like the story of when the little kid stuck his finger in the Duke, and he turned blue.
    Well, he would. On the side of the dike where you can try that trick, he'd be underwater.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 14:07
    @shallow-blue said
    Well, he would. On the side of the dike where you can try that trick, he'd be underwater.
    The Norfolk broads
  14. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 16:24
    https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Mechanical_Engineer/Salary I make 150k a year (40 hrs a week) pipefitting. Have to teach these guys on the job. They are a dime a dozen

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree