English: the World's (eyewitness) language

English: the World's (eyewitness) language

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
07 Oct 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
That is a matter of getting used to it (and literacy). When I watch a German movie, I find the dubbed voices hilarious for a few minutes, and annoying afterwards.
Indeed. It was the general aversion to subtitled movies in the English-speaking world that made me think of my suggestion...

J

Moves
07 Oct 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I recommend puppets.
hu-hu, I always kinda enjoyed thumb puppets myself, hu-hu.

&feature=PlayList&p=88C1D6D7C9465093&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Oct 09

Originally posted by Jigtie
hu-hu, I always kinda enjoyed thumb puppets myself, hu-hu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g02jT8lXhaA&feature=PlayList&p=88C1D6D7C9465093&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30
Sincerely, I think presenting the news as a puppet show would be more honest than the usual malarkey.

jb

Moves
07 Oct 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
its because the gringos are either too lazy or too stupid to learn other languages.

(no sarcasm)
Masca la cabeza por favor.

g

Pepperland

Moves
07 Oct 09

Originally posted by joe beyser
Masca la cabeza por favor.
que?

J

Moves
08 Oct 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Sincerely, I think presenting the news as a puppet show would be more honest than the usual malarkey.
Can't really argue with you there.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Oct 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
its because the gringos are either too lazy or too stupid to learn other languages.

(no sarcasm)
It has nothing to do with laziness or stupidity, it has to do with need. Few people learn other languages unless they need to. Many non-English speakers are essentially forced to learn English.
I have lived all my life in a country where English is a second language for most people, yet I never needed to learn anything else (and so have not done so). Nobody I know personally has learnt French, Spanish or Chinese unless they absolutely needed to (even though they are not gringos, or native English speakers).
For the first time in my life I am actually now trying to learn Chinese for my own interest, and it is really really hard.
Are you too lazy or stupid to learn Chinese, or do you know how to speak it already?

g

Pepperland

Moves
08 Oct 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
It has nothing to do with laziness or stupidity, it has to do with need. Few people learn other languages unless they need to. Many non-English speakers are essentially forced to learn English.
I have lived all my life in a country where English is a second language for most people, yet I never needed to learn anything else (and so have not done so). Nob ...[text shortened]... ally hard.
Are you too lazy or stupid to learn Chinese, or do you know how to speak it already?

thats different, I don't live in china.

However, I did make a huge effort to learn spanish while I lived in spanish-speaking countries, and I did learn english even before I went to live in the UK.