Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    26 Oct '15 13:493 edits
    http://news.yahoo.com/comedian-favored-win-guatemala-presidency-anti-graft-ticket-002508182.html#

    Guatemala has just elected a comedian as their President. What are his qaulifications you may ask? He tells jokes and feeds off the frustration of rampant government corruption.


    Now look at the GOP. I see many similarities here. People are just fed up and are turning to anyone outside the corrupt system for help.

    Of course, there are still the Progs who will hold their nose and vote for Hillary. She can lie as much as she wants cuz that's just what politicians do. 😵
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 Oct '15 15:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    Now look at the GOP. I see many similarities here. People are just fed up and are turning to anyone outside the corrupt system for help.
    From what I can tell (all the way over here in SA) they are just turning to extremists, that are often extremely corrupt. I don't see them turning to anyone genuinely outside the system. Could you name anyone?

    I have heard of movements to actually change the system to get big money out of politics, but as far as I know such movements are from groups in the democratic side of things.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    26 Oct '15 16:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.yahoo.com/comedian-favored-win-guatemala-presidency-anti-graft-ticket-002508182.html#

    Guatemala has just elected a comedian as their President. What are his qaulifications you may ask? He tells jokes and feeds off the frustration of rampant government corruption.


    Now look at the GOP. I see many similarities here. People are just fed ...[text shortened]... and vote for Hillary. She can lie as much as she wants cuz that's just what politicians do. 😵
    ...and your solution is what??
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52855
    26 Oct '15 16:55
    Originally posted by bill718
    ...and your solution is what??
    MY solution would be to chuck the democratic election totally, since 100% of them are in the pockets of some group.

    I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in government.

    AND FOR PRESIDENT: Lottery ping pong ball affair chucks out numbers at random:

    Billy Parker from Idaho! Congratulations Mr. President, here are the codes to the bomb, and good luck.

    Randy Newman, you are now Vice President. Get used to it.

    And so forth and so on. This ensures NOBODY is bought off, at least for the first week🙂
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    26 Oct '15 22:331 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    ...and your solution is what??
    Federalism

    I don't want to try and elect a god to run the world.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Oct '15 10:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    MY solution would be to chuck the democratic election totally, since 100% of them are in the pockets of some group.

    I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in go ...[text shortened]... it.

    And so forth and so on. This ensures NOBODY is bought off, at least for the first week🙂
    I think your approach is better than what we have today, which is needing royal blood to be elected like we see in the US and Canada, but it still falls short.

    Power corrupts. The US needs to return to Federalism so that power is divided. Not only will you have much more citizen participation in government, which you seem to advocate, but you also remove the inevitability of power corrupting these mere mortals by dividing their power.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    27 Oct '15 22:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    From what I can tell (all the way over here in SA) they are just turning to extremists, that are often extremely corrupt. I don't see them turning to anyone genuinely outside the system. Could you name anyone?

    I have heard of movements to actually change the system to get big money out of politics, but as far as I know such movements are from groups in the democratic side of things.
    The frontrunners in the R primaries Trump and Carson are definitely outsiders.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    27 Oct '15 22:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    Federalism

    I don't want to try and elect a god to run the world.
    Perfect answer. 😀
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Oct '15 23:47
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Perfect answer. 😀
    It pretty much left them speechless.

    I guess they have not had enough of the clowns.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7312
    28 Oct '15 12:481 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in government.
    Ted Kaczynski would've fit those criteria. So would Jim Jones. And more likely, you'd get Bubba Jay Bob "BJ" Jacksonville, graduated in absentia only because his step-dadda was elected both town sheriff and head of the school.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    31 Oct '15 17:30
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Ted Kaczynski would've fit those criteria. So would Jim Jones. And more likely, you'd get Bubba Jay Bob "BJ" Jacksonville, graduated in absentia only because his step-dadda was elected both town sheriff and head of the school.
    What leads you to believe that the politicians in power today are any better than the guys you listed? The only difference could be the position.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26718
    31 Oct '15 20:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    MY solution would be to chuck the democratic election totally, since 100% of them are in the pockets of some group.

    I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in go ...[text shortened]... it.

    And so forth and so on. This ensures NOBODY is bought off, at least for the first week🙂
    The process is known as sortition. It has been used by several governing bodies in the past, such as Ancient Athens and the Florentine and Venetian republics.
Back to Top