1. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 01:49
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/13/AR2009101302654.html

Former Republican senator Jack Danforth has described the practical effect of these European attitudes bluntly: "What it really says is: We will follow the U.S. provided the U.S. doesn't want to lead anywhere." What does it mean to "do the right thing in world af ...[text shortened]...

Hard power is essential. Soft power is useful. Star power matters mainly in Oslo.
    Probably has something to do with Europe having to endure WWI and WWII and seen the effects first hand on their own soil. Intelligence suggests you learn from your mistakes.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    17 Oct '09 20:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Santa Claus is Indian!

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=11be114d7badf6a301e8004000d07d4b
    No, he actually is Turkic!
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Oct '09 23:28
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I only hope Europe goes in the path that zeeblebot describes. We should not use force in other countries to impose our justice, unless this is done by the UN and is shared by all kinds of countries. We simply shouldn't go where we are not welcome.

The EU should keep expanding by means of peaceful cooperation and increased membership. That's the role I'd l ...[text shortened]... imilar to ours. War and force only creates an environment where the ruthless move to the top.
    when do you think the UN will get around to handling Zimbabwe?
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Oct '09 23:29
    Originally posted by sh76
    Does he really need to explain how US guns and other policies helped bring long term peace to Japan, Germany and South Korea? Though, I will concede that I'm not sure what Vietnam is doing on that list.
    Vietnam is a perfect example. just not in the direction most of its inhabitants (and oversea-ers) would have preferred.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree