1. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 May '10 23:51
    Let's make a deal. for every person who agrees to immigrate to a foreign land (revoking their US citizenship), the US will permit an illegal immigrant to become legal.

i expect to see droves of Democrats and liberals signing up for this program, bravely sacrificing for the poor unfortunates who couldn't make good in their homelands and want to make good here.
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 May '10 23:51
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100514/ap_on_re_us/us_immigration_student;_ylt=AtHNPJx5OA4I1sENccACSpis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFlczRkMW5hBHBvcwM2NwRzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX3Vfc19uZXdzBHNsawNpbGxlZ2FsaW1taWc-

http://tinyurl.com/23edsqq

llegal immigrant student hopes case helps reform

By Kate Brumback, Associated Press Writer – 44 mins ago

ATLANTA – When Jessica Colotl, an illegal immigrant college student, got arrested for a minor traffic violation at her suburban Atlanta campus, she became an accidental poster child for immigration reform.

On Friday, after getting arrested and released from detention for the second time in just over a month, she told reporters at a news conference she hopes her ordeal can help persuade leaders to work for an overhaul of the country's immigration laws.

Her first arrest came on March 30, the day after getting pulled over by university police for a minor traffic violation. She was charged with driving without a license and impeding the flow of traffic.

Then, the Cobb County Sheriff's Office turned her over to officials with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, who sent her to a detention center in Alabama. After lobbying by Kennesaw State officials and her sorority sisters, ICE released Colotl last week. Federal officials deferred action on her case for a year, allowing her to complete her classes.

But Cobb County Sheriff Neil Warren obtained a new warrant for her arrest on Wednesday, saying she lied about her address when she was booked into jail following her initial arrest. Making a false statement to law enforcement is a felony under Georgia law.

Colotl turned herself in Friday morning and was released on $2,500 bond, according to sheriff's office records.

3. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 May '10 23:52
    do i hear a "YEA! I'll volunteer for Jessica!"?
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 May '10 23:52
    btw, if she were in AZ under the new law would she be able to get out on bail?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree