1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 18:04
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Because they are "too big too fail" and, well, you're just not.
    You can add to that "they put big bucks into putting these politicians in power and you didn't".
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 20:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You can add to that "they put big bucks into putting these politicians in power and you didn't".
    Yes. In fact I'm not sure that "putting big bucks into putting politicians in power" isn't a workable definition for "too big to fail."
  3. Germany
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 21:41
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I have heard various Euros try to imply that the Euro-zone concept is basically the same as the Federal System in the US, but this is simply incorrect. I recall Paul Krugman discussing the much lower labor mobility across national borders in Europe than there is between States in the US. And this article points out how dissimilar the Euro banking structu ...[text shortened]... The structures in Europe just do not meaningfully approximate the US ones.
    That was my whole point - the structure is totally different, but NOT because the differences in income are so large, but because there is no fiscal union as in the US.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 22:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That was my whole point - the structure is totally different, but NOT because the differences in income are so large, but because there is no fiscal union as in the US.
    No doubt the structure and relationships are different. I'm trying to understand if you are saying that there is more or less commonality among the nations of European Union, and the 50 States? Is it easier to move across national borders to find work, than it is across State lines? I find this difficult to believe, given the almost constant war status of Europe prior to 1945, and the centuries long animosity between the main partners.

I stand willing to learn.
  5. Standard memberskipper2666
    Why so serious ????
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 13:55
    Originally posted by normbenign
    No doubt the structure and relationships are different. I'm trying to understand if you are saying that there is more or less commonality among the nations of European Union, and the 50 States? Is it easier to move across national borders to find work, than it is across State lines? I find this difficult to believe, given the almost constant war statu ...[text shortened]... 1945, and the centuries long animosity between the main partners.

As far as I can see, Europe will throw money... lots of money at this..... and the Euro will still collapse.
    Who will be there to run the rule over these countries then?

Any guesses on this people?
  6. England
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 14:23
    it was c..p to start. it should have been the three to start then bring in one at a time after getting there house in order.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 14:30
    Originally posted by normbenign
    No doubt the structure and relationships are different. I'm trying to understand if you are saying that there is more or less commonality among the nations of European Union, and the 50 States? Is it easier to move across national borders to find work, than it is across State lines? I find this difficult to believe, given the almost constant war statu ...[text shortened]... 1945, and the centuries long animosity between the main partners.

The Euros lack the strong central government that the Framers wisely created here.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 15:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Euros lack the strong central government that the Framers wisely created here.
    That doesn't answer the question. Obviously, the Euro wasn't intended to replace national sovereign governments, or was it?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 15:57
    Originally posted by skipper2666
    As far as I can see, Europe will throw money... lots of money at this..... and the Euro will still collapse.
    Who will be there to run the rule over these countries then?

Any guesses on this people?
    My guess is that sovereignty will be decided as usual by war, either hot or cold.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree