Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 14 Apr '10 19:46
    http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/1293662/george-bernard-shaw/perhaps-the-greatest-social-service-that-can-be-rendered

“Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to the country and to mankind is to bring up a family.”

George Bernard Shaw
  2. 14 Apr '10 19:50
    Any family?
  3. 14 Apr '10 22:36
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/1293662/george-bernard-shaw/perhaps-the-greatest-social-service-that-can-be-rendered

“Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to the country and to mankind is to bring up a family.”

George Bernard Shaw
    perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered is to NOT to bring up a family - unless and until one is READY to bring up a family.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    14 Apr '10 22:38

George Bernard Shaw
    I think Mel's comment about being ready is important. I don't think it's a social service to pump out welfare babies.
  5. 15 Apr '10 05:10
    we have mandatory state-funded child education, why not mandatory state-funded family education?

and mandatory divestiture of children from malfunctioning families, with a lower threshold than is currently used.

maybe we'd have less gangbangers, then.
  6. 15 Apr '10 05:11 / 1 edit
    if GBS had been writing a legal brief, perhaps he'd have included all manner of footnotes indicating he meant "raise a family well", and all* permutations thereof.

* - or most, or a significant number of.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    15 Apr '10 05:12
    we have mandatory state-funded child education, why not mandatory state-funded family education?

and mandatory divestiture of children from malfunctioning families, with a lower threshold than is currently used.

maybe we'd have less gangbangers, then.
    While I'm not necessarily opposed, I think that is not reasonably possible.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    15 Apr '10 05:12
    if GBS had been writing a legal brief, perhaps he'd have included all manner of footnotes indicating he meant "raise a family [b]well", and all* permutations thereof.

* - or most, or a significant number of.[/b]
    Yeah, with proper qualifiers it is a good statement.
  9. 15 Apr '10 05:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    While I'm not necessarily opposed, I think that is not reasonably possible.
    not reasonably likely, and too bad for the kids.
  10. 15 Apr '10 05:30
    altho, the state of Texas tried, on much less grounds than exist for the gangbangers (i'm talking about the "cult" that moved to that compound in W. Texas).