family

Standard memberzeeblebot
Debates 14 Apr '10 19:46
  1. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 19:46
    http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/1293662/george-bernard-shaw/perhaps-the-greatest-social-service-that-can-be-rendered

“Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to the country and to mankind is to bring up a family.”

George Bernard Shaw
  2. Germany
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 19:50
    Any family?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 22:36
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/1293662/george-bernard-shaw/perhaps-the-greatest-social-service-that-can-be-rendered

“Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to the country and to mankind is to bring up a family.”

George Bernard Shaw
    perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered is to NOT to bring up a family - unless and until one is READY to bring up a family.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 22:38

George Bernard Shaw
    I think Mel's comment about being ready is important. I don't think it's a social service to pump out welfare babies.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 05:10
    we have mandatory state-funded child education, why not mandatory state-funded family education?

and mandatory divestiture of children from malfunctioning families, with a lower threshold than is currently used.

maybe we'd have less gangbangers, then.
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 05:111 edit
    if GBS had been writing a legal brief, perhaps he'd have included all manner of footnotes indicating he meant "raise a family well", and all* permutations thereof.

* - or most, or a significant number of.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 05:12
    we have mandatory state-funded child education, why not mandatory state-funded family education?

and mandatory divestiture of children from malfunctioning families, with a lower threshold than is currently used.

maybe we'd have less gangbangers, then.
    While I'm not necessarily opposed, I think that is not reasonably possible.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 05:12
    if GBS had been writing a legal brief, perhaps he'd have included all manner of footnotes indicating he meant "raise a family [b]well", and all* permutations thereof.

* - or most, or a significant number of.[/b]
    Yeah, with proper qualifiers it is a good statement.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 05:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    While I'm not necessarily opposed, I think that is not reasonably possible.
    not reasonably likely, and too bad for the kids.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 05:30
    altho, the state of Texas tried, on much less grounds than exist for the gangbangers (i'm talking about the "cult" that moved to that compound in W. Texas).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree