1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 03:30
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Apparently you are not reading along. How about Spending for starters.
    Yes. Spending. Of course. What would have cut at that particular time? List ten or a dozen major things that would have had an impact on the total. People can debate them maybe.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 03:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    , rather makes nonsense of whodey's claim that the stimulus alone was $100 trillion. But perhaps he will be releived to find it's far less than $100 trillion.
    Apparently no one here had a sense of humor. Go figure.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 03:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. Spending. Of course. What would have cut at that particular time? List ten or a dozen major things that would have had an impact on the total. People can debate them maybe.
    the OP

Federal domestic spending increased a record 16 percent, to $3.2 trillion, in 2009, "the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, largely because of a boost in aid to the unemployed and the huge economic stimulus package enacted to rescue the sinking economy."

This what the thread is about if you wish to participate.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 03:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    Apparently no one here had a sense of humor. Go figure.
    You lie all the time. You've made stupider claims. It isn't funny.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 03:48
    Federal domestic spending increased a record 16 percent, to $3.2 trillion, in 2009, "the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, largely because of a boost in aid to the unemployed and the huge economic stimulus package enacted to rescue the sinking economy."

This what the thread is about if you wish to participate.
    So what spending would you have cut in 2009? Your answer so far has been "spending". You started the thread. What spending would you have cut?
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 03:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what spending would you have cut in 2009? Your answer so far has been "spending". You started the thread. What spending would you have cut?
    go back to page one fmf.

bail outs
    stimulus bill
    unemployment extension bill
    cash for clunkers,etc etc.

Its just pissing money down the drain IMO. And they want to keep on doing it. When will they be happy?When is enough enough?When the Nation is bankrupt? When the US dollar is worthless?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 04:22
    go back to page one fmf.

bail outs
    stimulus bill
    unemployment extension bill
    cash for clunkers,etc etc.

Its just pissing money down the drain IMO. And they want to keep on doing it. When will they be happy?When is enough enough?When the Nation is bankrupt? When the US dollar is worthless?
    You think there should have been no stimulus package?

What resulting scenario would you have envisaged?

You would not have extended the unemployment benefit?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 06:20

"Federal spending is what causes deficits. Tax cuts do not."
    Elementary math sure is difficult for some people.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 14:312 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    You think there should have been no stimulus package?

What resulting scenario would you have envisaged?

You would not have extended the unemployment benefit?
    the problem is that we can't go back in time and see what actually would have happened had we not done the bailouts (actually mainly a Bush policy) and the stimulus.

not that it would matter -- the conservatives would still have found many things to blame on Obama.
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 14:39
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    the problem is that we can't go back in time and see what actually would have happened had we not done the bailouts (actually mainly a Bush policy) and the stimulus.

not that it would matter -- the conservatives would still have found many things to blame on Obama.
    Personally for me I am not putting all the blame on Obama or Bush. I am saying this spending is out of control like no time before.
    It is naive to think there will not be serious repercussions.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 14:552 edits
    Personally for me I am not putting all the blame on Obama or Bush. I am saying this spending is out of control like no time before.
    It is naive to think there will not be serious repercussions.
    but the stimulus and the bailouts are temporary measures that add nothing to the long-term spending outlook.

if you really want to cut spending, you have to look at the permanent programs -- which of these would you propose to reduce spending on - and how specifically would you go about making these cuts? What would be your top ten list for things we need to cut?
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 15:29
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    but the stimulus and the bailouts are temporary measures that add nothing to the long-term spending outlook.

if you really want to cut spending, you have to look at the permanent programs -- which of these would you propose to reduce spending on - and how specifically would you go about making these cuts? What would be your top ten list for things we need to cut?
    I see you are FMF's latest protege' . 🙄

What is this list I am to provide for things to cut?
    I am talking about all the NEW spending is bad for the U.S.
    Agree or disagree?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 15:40
    I see you are FMF's latest protege' . 🙄

Agree or disagree?
    But even without new spending, there will be a deficit. What do you suggest cutting?
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 16:28
    Obviously, everyone is against waste but here are somethings I would also change.

I would not extend entitlement programs... especially health care. It is crazy in a time of budget gaps to extend benefits. When we have huge surpluses we can talk about new entitlements until then it is just crazy.

Raise the eligibility age for Social Security higher. If changes eventually need to be made change it sooner than later and tell people that if they want to keep their standard of living they may need to work more. Productive people need to be encouraged to work and perhaps we could even decrease the Social security tax.

Stop industry subsidies (especially agricultural) and I would not bail out any industries or municipalities. If the goverment thought an industry was essential and it was failing, the governement could buy it cheap (like a forcelosed house is purchased cheaply) and keep the profit. But to just transfer money and not get anything back is bad business.

There are certain regulated industries that are always being crippled due to their high labor costs (airline, automotive, postal, mass transit). I would make sure that if aid is never given to those industries unless labor costs are decrease. I would not allow these industries to continually raise prices.

I would then cut proportionally or at the minimum cap spending on all programs. I would set a goal of eliminating prorams (even good ones) because government is so diverse it has become unweildy.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 16:31
    Agree or disagree?
    So you want to keep all the old/current spending?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree