Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:04
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

Final call to save the world from 'climate catastrophe'

It's the final call, say scientists, the most extensive warning yet on the risks of rising global temperatures.

Their dramatic report on keeping that rise under 1.5 degrees C says the world is now completely off track, heading instead towards 3C.

Keeping to the preferred target of 1.5C above pre-industrial levels will mean "rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society".

It will be hugely expensive - but the window of opportunity remains open.

After three years of research and a week of haggling between scientists and government officials at a meeting in South Korea, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has issued a special report on the impact of global warming of 1.5C.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:05
    This is not about politics. It concerns all of us, and anyone with children or grandchildren.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:20
    @vivify said
    This is not about politics. It concerns all of us, and anyone with children or grandchildren.
    And a case of "too little, too late" for most of the polar bear population.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:29
    @suzianne said
    And a case of "too little, too late" for most of the polar bear population.
    You don't know what you are talking about. Polar bear population has been increasing.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:31
    @metal-brain said
    You don't know what you are talking about. Polar bear population has been increasing.
    Let's see your made-up stats, then.

You're just wrong.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:34
    @vivify said
    Maybe leaders from all countries in the world should get together and decide together what to do about climate change, maybe in Paris or something.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:41
    @kazetnagorra said
    Maybe leaders from all countries in the world should get together and decide together what to do about climate change, maybe in Paris or something.
    Yeah, they could set some targets and come to some sort of agreement based on the scientific evidence!!!!
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:47
    @vivify said
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

Final call to save the world from 'climate catastrophe'

It's the final call, say scientists, the most extensive warning yet on the risks of rising global temperatures.

Their dramatic report on keeping that rise under 1.5 degrees C says the world is now completely off track, heading instead towards 3C. ...[text shortened]... n Climate Change (IPCC) has issued a special report on the impact of global warming of 1.5C.
    "Their dramatic report on keeping that rise under 1.5 degrees C says the world is now completely off track, heading instead towards 3C."

This does not tell us much. Under 1.5 degrees C of what?
    Is that the average rise in 100 years? 120 years?

How much warming was there in pre-industrial levels? When exactly was pre-industrial? What year? Is that debatable? It is important to know these things.

...or you could just have blind faith in an obviously biased article to translate it for you. I started to read some of the original article (link below) it is based on, but I could not find any relevant info to confirm the "chicken little" like predictions of gloom and doom.

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/
  9. Germany
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:52
    @stellspalfie said
    Yeah, they could set some targets and come to some sort of agreement based on the scientific evidence!!!!
    Too bad it's all a hoax invented by the Chinese. Or at least, that's what a stable genius told me.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:53
    @kazetnagorra said
    The Paris Accords were not binding agreements. The emission reductions by each country were also voluntary. Most countries are probably on track to meet those voluntary goals anyway.

There is no need for the Paris Accords.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:531 edit
    "How much warming was there in pre-industrial levels? When exactly was pre-industrial? What year? Is that debatable? It is important to know these things.

...or you could just have blind faith in an obviously biased article to translate it for you. I started to read some of the original article (link below) it is based on, but I could not find any relevant info to confirm the "chicken little" like predictions of gloom and doom. "

Isnt it better to err on the side of caution considering the ramifications of the scientific community being correct.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:551 edit
    @stellspalfie said
    "How much warming was there in pre-industrial levels? When exactly was pre-industrial? What year? Is that debatable? It is important to know these things.

...or you could just have blind faith in an obviously biased article to translate it for you. I started to read some of the original article (link below) it is based on, but I could not find any relevant info to co ...[text shortened]... err on the side of caution considering the ramifications of the scientific community being correct.
    And do what exactly? Why don't you reduce your electric bill and drive less and avoid flying as much as possible? Why do you want to live like a polluting pig and force everyone to live like you don't live now?

" considering the ramifications of the scientific community being correct."

How do you know they are correct? Translate that 1.5 degree C to F. How long does it take for temps to increase globally?
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 14:592 edits
    @kazetnagorra said
    Great idea. I'm sure there are no world leaders dumb enough to disagree with that.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 15:04
    @metal-brain said
    And do what exactly? Why don't you reduce your electric bill and drive less and avoid flying as much as possible? Why do you want to live like a polluting pig and force everyone to live like you don't live now?
    I take it from your mini-rant that you don't think we should err on the side of caution and just take a gamble on the future of the planet.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 15:09
    @stellspalfie said
    I take it from your mini-rant that you don't think we should err on the side of caution and just take a gamble on the future of the planet.
    I'm saying you should explain why that article justifies an expensive solution with a 1.5 degree C number nobody understands but them? They don't explain it that I have noticed.

If I threw a number at you and said we need to keep below it wouldn't you want to know what that number represents?