Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 14:44
    The great Matt Taibbi has an interesting piece on the book in Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-tldr-guide-to-michael-wolffs-fire-and-fury-w515359

I found this analysis by Matt pretty compelling:

Reading the book, there are at least a few real points about Trump that shine through:

1) Trump has almost no ideological convictions and is motivated almost entirely by the classic narcissistic value equation, i.e. how much praise or scorn he gets on a second-to-second basis, from whom, and why. Had he not run as a Republican – and in particular won on a platform scripted by a nationalist true believer like Bannon – he might very well by now have been pushed into a completely different kind of presidency. Trump wants so badly to be liked that, especially with the influence of Kushner and Ivanka, he might easily have allowed his White House to drift back toward his original politics, which (as New Yorkers and furious conservatives alike will clearly remember) was once squarely in the Bob Rubin rich-guy sort-of Democrat mold.

2) However, as Bannon points out in the book – correctly – Trump by now is so firmly entrenched in the consciousness of America's intellectual elite as a villain that he will never be accepted by that crowd. The constant battering Trump gets from the press especially ensures that he will continue to lash out at them, forcing him continually to tack back to the only people who still like him – Bannon's angry-man followers. This despite the fact that what Trump clearly craves is, instead, the approval of members of his own class.

3) The result is an insane paradox of an America led by a doomed and trapped psyche. This is a president who in another era might have been confined to the impact of an ordinary bad Commander-in-Chief (we've had many), i.e. sedated and/or scripted in public, and kept on the golf course the rest of the time while the empire runs on the dreary autopilot of donors, P.R. flacks and military advisers.

Instead, we get a leader whose most dangerous moments come during his ever-expanding calendar of hyper-tweeting downtime [Well he doesn't seem to do so well in his meetings either -no1]

That seems about right to me as someone who has been exposed to Trump for over three decades (he's been a favorite topic of the New York tabloids for that long).

Anyone disagree?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 15:151 edit
    He wants to be liked?

You're fired!

If he wanted to be liked he would have stayed in the Paris Accord and backed away from recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of the Zionist state, etc.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 15:181 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    He wants to be liked?

You're fired!

If he wanted to be liked he would have stayed in the Paris Accord and backed away from recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of the Zionist state, etc.
    That would have helped him be liked by the followers he has left?

Try reading the piece again. From it:

The constant battering Trump gets from the press especially ensures that he will continue to lash out at them, forcing him continually to tack back to the only people who still like him – Bannon's angry-man followers.

In other words, people as dumb as you.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 15:35
    Originally posted by @no1marauder

The constant battering Trump gets from the press especially ensures that he will continue to lash out at them, [b]forcing him continually to tack back to the only people who still like him – Bannon's angry-man followers.

In other words, people as dumb as you.[/b]
    It boils down to this...who do you want to run our country, The elected president or the press?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 15:511 edit

The constant battering Trump gets from the press especially ensures that he will continue to lash out at them, [b]forcing him continually to tack back to the only people who still like him – Bannon's angry-man followers.

In other words, people as dumb as you.[/b]
    Suck up to Bannon supporters? You mean the man that just came out with the book bashing Trump, for which Trump called him "crazy"?

Epic fail. Try again.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 15:52
    No one craved attention like Obama with his meritless Nobel Peace Prize and transparency awards from the press, etc.

From what I hear, he really wants to go to the Royal wedding.

Hilarious. It's like he never graduated high school.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 16:25
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Suck up to Bannon supporters? You mean the man that just came out with the book bashing Trump, for which Trump called him "crazy"?

Epic fail. Try again.
    It must be interesting to live in a world where facts don't exist at all.

It isn't Bannon's book and his main transgression in Trump"s eyes was excessive honesty.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 17:09
    The great Matt Taibbi has an interesting piece on the book in Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-tldr-guide-to-michael-wolffs-fire-and-fury-w515359

Reading the book, there are at least a few real points about Trump that shine through:

1) Trump has almost no ideol ...[text shortened]... decades (he's been a favorite topic of the New York tabloids for that long).

Anyone disagree?
    Brilliantly put.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 00:52
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    It boils down to this...who do you want to run our country, The elected president or the press?
    I suggest you take a look at the US Constitution; the President doesn't "run the country".
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 01:07
    I suggest you take a look at the US Constitution; the President doesn't "run the country".
    You are a lunatic. Show me one person that has more power than the president of the US.

http://law2.umkc.edu/Faculty/projects/FTrials/conlaw/prespowers.html
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 01:13
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    You are a lunatic. Show me one person that has more power than the president of the US.

http://law2.umkc.edu/Faculty/projects/FTrials/conlaw/prespowers.html
    Do you refuse to read the Constitution?

Please cite the section where it says "the President runs the country".

Thanks in advance.
  12. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 00:181 edit

1) Trump has almost no ideol ...[text shortened]... decades (he's been a favorite topic of the New York tabloids for that long).

Anyone disagree?
    That seems about right to me as someone who has been exposed to Trump for over three decades (he's been a favorite topic of the New York tabloids for that long).

Anyone disagree?

Pretty accurate, however for all his bumbling, Trump has had 2 bright spots in his administration.

Nikki Haley - This lady would be a good addition to any administration regardless of political affiliation. She's smart, and has done a pretty good job in her post as U.N. Ambassador. It's not her fault her boss is an egotistical loon.

Illegal immigration with Mexico - All of Trump's fire and brimstone rhetoric on immigration has reduced illegal border crossings with Mexico a lot. I'm not convinced this is the best way of handling this situation, but I can't argue with the results.

These 2 things aside, I'll be very happy when Trump and his little reality show vanish from the political scene.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 01:08
    Originally posted by @mchill

Anyone disagree?

Pretty accurate, however for all his bumbling, Trump has had 2 bright spots in his administration.

Nikki Haley - This lady would be a good addition to any admin ...[text shortened]... side, I'll be very happy when Trump and his little reality show vanish from the political scene.
    Its gonna be a sad life for you then.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 02:291 edit

Anyone disagree?

Nikki Haley - This lady would be a good addition to any admin ...[text shortened]... side, I'll be very happy when Trump and his little reality show vanish from the political scene.
    Haley's speech on December 20th was a clumsy embarrassment. http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a14479968/nikki-haley-un-jerusalem/

She has no training or experience in diplomacy and has clearly been out of her league there. The best thing she could do for the United States would be to admit her unfitness for the position and resign.

Trumps claims has regards the reduction in border crossings are A) Exaggerated and B) There is no evidence his talking did anything to effect the number anyway. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/12/us/politics/trump-border-claim-factcheck.html?_r=0
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 07:381 edit
    Illegal immigration with Mexico - All of Trump's fire and brimstone rhetoric on immigration has reduced illegal border crossings with Mexico a lot. I'm not convinced this is the best way of handling this situation, but I can't argue with the results.
    Before Trump took office, the immigration numbers pointed to more people leaving the country than coming in.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/20/more-mexicans-leaving-us-than-entering-study-says.html

Two things:
    1) The time period in this article is 2009 to 2014, fully within Obama's time in office.
    2) If you care to notice, this is from the "Fox News" website.