1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:43
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/russian-man-to-undergo-worlds-first-full-head-transplant/

Is this ethical?

Does this mean Progressives have found a new use for us?

Pay your fair share everyone.

Why do I envision the head of Hillary being surgically placed on the head of a child some day? She may never die now.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '16 07:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/russian-man-to-undergo-worlds-first-full-head-transplant/

Is this ethical?

Why do I envision the head of Hillary being surgically placed on the head of a child some day? She may never die now.
    So this dude trades a body with bad muscles to a body his spinal cord would never be able to connect to so he just has a better body that can't move at all.

Great trade. Plus the tiny problem he may not have a brain left after the operation anyway.

An operation only 100 years too early. I guess he hasn't been run through all the down sides.

Just sign this waver.......
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '16 07:29

Is this ethical?
    Is there any reason it would not be?

Where do you get that from? Are all doctors 'progressives'?

Oh, I see. Your concern is that you might have to pay higher taxes to help pay for his operation. Now its starting to make sense.

Because you have a mental condition that leads you to fantasise about presidents of the democratic party?
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Aug '16 09:54

Is this ethical?

“The issue here is that someone with a functioning spinal cord is facing having that function completely removed."

It cannot be ethical. The poor guy may end up like Whodey, his life restricted to staring at a computer screen with inadequate control over the sites he is exposed to, issuing regular wailing appeals at the insanity of it all.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Aug '16 20:46

Is this ethical?

It's a shame you had to ruin the question with the Hillary thing because it's a great question. I wouldn't call it a head transplant. I'd call it a body transplant as the consciousness will presumably remain the same as the head.

I'd like to hear more about what kind of person the body can be harvested from. Does it have to be a recently dead person?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '16 21:18
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's a shame you had to ruin the question with the Hillary thing because it's a great question. I wouldn't call it a head transplant. I'd call it a body transplant as the consciousness will presumably remain the same as the head.

I'd like to hear more about what kind of person the body can be harvested from. Does it have to be a recently dead person?
    I suppose a lot depends if the head transplant is successful.

If it is, then the sky is the limit.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    07 Aug '16 21:26
    Originally posted by sh76
    I wouldn't call it a head transplant. I'd call it a body transplant as the consciousness will presumably remain the same as the head.

Oh Lord, return of the body snatchers!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 09:051 edit
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Oh Lord, return of the body snatchers!
    I can see it now. The operation will cost 4 million US dollars. Trump gets some kind of cancer all throughout his body, next we find his head on the body of a 9 yo girl who died of a brain aneurysm, a sight to behold🙂

Shades of 'Mars Attacks'
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 09:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I can see it now. The operation will cost 4 million US dollars. Trump gets some kind of cancer all throughout his body, next we find his head on the body of a 9 yo girl who died of a brain aneurysm, a sight to behold🙂

Shades of 'Mars Attacks'
    Whodey's concern is that given that it is a well known fact that most republicans are brain dead, they will be used as a source of replacement bodies. What he doesn't realise is that it is the capitalist, no-regulation republicans that will most likely be the first to actually start doing such transplants. We just have to hope they are so stupid that they get brain transplants rather than body transplants (as per thread title).
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 10:182 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Whodey's concern is that given that it is a well known fact that most republicans are brain dead, they will be used as a source of replacement bodies. What he doesn't realise is that it is the capitalist, no-regulation republicans that will most likely be the first to actually start doing such transplants. We just have to hope they are so stupid that they get brain transplants rather than body transplants (as per thread title).
    It reminds me of the story going around about the letters interchanged by Isidora Duncan and Bernard Shaw. Miss Duncan wrote [to] Mr. Shaw as follows: ‘My dear Mr. Shaw: I beg to remind you that as you have the greatest brain in the world, and I have the most beautiful body, it is our duty to posterity to have a child.’ Whereupon Mr. Shaw replied to Miss Duncan: ‘My dear Miss Duncan: I admit that I have the greatest brain in the world and that you have the most beautiful body, but it might happen that our child would have my body and your brain. Therefore, I respectfully decline.’

The other story is of Marilyn [Monroe] saying dreamily to Miller: ‘We should have a child, Arthur. Imagine a baby with your brains and my looks.’ To which Miller retorted: ‘Yes, but what if it got your brains and my looks?’

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/04/19/brains-beauty/

The problem with both (certainly untrue) anecdotes is that the women in question had brains of at least equal merit to their male companions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree