09 Dec '15 13:50
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    And you base this on what exactly?
    The statement that I quoted earlier.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:51
    This is the major problem with the climate change issues these days: it's all become way too politicized, on both sides of the spectrum.
    Are you sure it is political at all? Do you have any reason to believe he would not have been fired if the book had not been about climate change?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 14:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Are you sure it is political at all? Do you have any reason to believe he would not have been fired if the book had not been about climate change?
    I was going to make this point as well in my previous post, but then opted out. What if he'd written a book about cars? Or favorite travel destinations?

No, I'm not sure. But I do think it would've been far less likely.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 14:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The statement that I quoted earlier.
    The statement

"its rules prevent anyone using their professional status … to push forward their personal opinions”.

does not at all imply that

the newscaster's contract specifies he is not to promote his or anyone else's book in his free time

As I understand, the guy has been talking to a lawyer so I'm looking forward to hearing what comes of this. I'm not in favor of employers firing people just because they wrote a book.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 14:24
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The problem is that as a weatherman he gains authority from his connection with the television channel. So unless they do take action against him the station implicitly supports his book.
    really? weathermen and women have authority? this made me giggle, thank you for it.

aside that, why is that a problem? one's entitled to one's opinion. freedom of speech allows you to express it unless it is a breach of contract.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 14:35
    The statement

"its rules prevent anyone using their professional status … to push forward their personal opinions”.

does not at all imply that

the newscaster's contract specifies he is not to promote his or anyone else's book in his free time
    It does if the promotion involves the use of his professional status.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 14:381 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    aside that, why is that a problem? one's entitled to one's opinion. freedom of speech allows you to express it unless it is a breach of contract.
    In this case it does appear to be breach of contract - or at least that is the reason given.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 02:192 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    really? weathermen and women have authority? this made me giggle, thank you for it.

Human nature is such that they innately wish to strip you of your freedoms.

Considering this, you should only be surprised when people have the freedom to speak, especially when rubbing the rich and powerful the wrong way.

It's like the old adage, to find out who is running things, find out who you are not allowed to critique.

Freedoms given to us by our laws is deceiving. For example, the man who lost his NBA team because he said racially offensive things was free to say what he said, but it cost him dearly. This is how these people operate. Outwardly they pretend to give you your freedom via laws and then coerce you to surrender the said freedom unwillingly.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 09:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    Human nature is such that they innately wish to strip you of your freedoms.

Considering this, you should only be surprised when people have the freedom to speak, especially when rubbing the rich and powerful the wrong way.

It's like the old adage, to find out who is running things, find out who you are not allowed to critique.

Freedoms given to us by ...[text shortened]... to give you your freedom via laws and then coerce you to surrender the said freedom unwillingly.
    Would you support a Christian baker for firing an employee after said employee had posted pro-gay messages on Facebook?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree