Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Mar '16 14:29
    I'm saying it again. He was unfairly demonized and did not deserve it.

What is the worst thing Gaddafi has done? If you think the propaganda demonizing him is true make your case, but be fair about it. Allegations and proof are 2 different things.
  2. 16 Mar '16 14:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain

What is the worst thing Gaddafi has done? If you think the propaganda demonizing him is true make your case, but be fair about it. Allegations and proof are 2 different things.
    Those in Libya had the highest standard of living in North Africa.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Mar '16 14:56

Let me guess. He had nothing to do with Pan Am Flight 103.

Am I right?
  4. 16 Mar '16 15:34

What is the worst thing Gaddafi has done?
    Killing a bunch of people.
  5. 16 Mar '16 16:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    Let me guess. He had nothing to do with Pan Am Flight 103.

Am I right?
    So all world leaders that kill other people need to be removed?

Sounds like you are an anarchist to me.
  6. 16 Mar '16 16:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Killing a bunch of people.
    Too bad Gaddfi did not have a fleet of drones and the PC speech to smile pretty like Obama.

If he had, Gaddafi may have won a Nobel Peace Prize.

Speaking of which, Obama said the US mission was to keep a no fly zone and they were not there to remove Gaddafi.

Sending hundreds of bombs over Libya is an odd way to enforce a no fly zone, but what do I know
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Mar '16 16:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    So all world leaders that kill other people need to be removed?

Sounds like you are an anarchist to me.
    I'd say that removing leaders who order the bombing of a civilian airliner would be a good idea.
  8. 16 Mar '16 16:26
    I'd say that removing leaders who order the bombing of a civilian airliner would be a good idea.
    You mean like Putin?
  9. 16 Mar '16 17:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    what do I know
    Good question.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    16 Mar '16 18:12
    There's little credible evidence that Gaddafi "ordered" the bombing of Flight 103. And it is fairly preposterous to claim that the intervention in 2011 had any link to a crime committed in 1988.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Mar '16 18:26 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's little credible evidence that Gaddafi "ordered" the bombing of Flight 103. And it is fairly preposterous to claim that the intervention in 2011 had any link to a crime committed in 1988.
    Statement of the justice minister of Libya not enough evidence for you?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-12552587

Anyway, while Gaddafi certainly did more bad things than just the Lockerbie bombing, that alone would have been sufficient cause to take him out, IMO.

The decision to help take him out was also based on the opportunity that presented itself, of course. The administration's decision to support the rebels was based partially on Gaddafi's history, of which Lockerbie was a part.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    16 Mar '16 18:33 / 4 edits
    Statement of the justice minister of Libya not enough evidence for you?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-12552587

Anyway, while Gaddafi certainly did more bad things than just the Lockerbie bombing, that alone would have been sufficient cause to take him out, IMO.

The decision to help take him out was also based on the opportunity tha ...[text shortened]... n to support the rebels was based partially on Gaddafi's history, of which Lockerbie was a part.
    No, it isn't since he later repudiated that statement and offered no evidence to support it. It was also made when Abdel-Jalil was an active leader in the revolution and calling for international intervention to support it making such a statement self-serving grist for the gullible like yourself.

The idea that the US can simply decide which leaders of foreign countries it can overthrow when "opportunity presents itself" is a shocking one and contrary to any reasonable interpretation of international law.

EDIT: However, he insisted he had been misquoted by a Swedish newspaper last year which claimed he had evidence that Gaddafi personally ordered the December 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, which claimed 270 lives.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/332936/Lockerbie-The-truth-at-last

EDIT2: Since the Gaddafi boogie man has been disposed of, it is now fashionable to blame Iran for the Lockerbie bombing. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10688067/Lockerbie-bombing-was-work-of-Iran-not-Libya-says-former-spy.html

So you should get with the program; of course, if we can oust the ayatollahs there are plenty of other countries that we can unearth new evidence against to "prove" they ordered the Lockerbie bombing.
  13. Standard member st dominics preview
    troll taunter
    16 Mar '16 23:19
    well, he was responsible for ordering the murder of PC Yvonne Fletcher in the mid 80s in the UK.

May be 'small beer' on an international stage, but certainly narked us in UK at the time (especially Ms Fletcher's family)
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Mar '16 01:02
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    well, he was responsible for ordering the murder of PC Yvonne Fletcher in the mid 80s in the UK.

May be 'small beer' on an international stage, but certainly narked us in UK at the time (especially Ms Fletcher's family)
    Look at him in the light of dudes like Pol Pot or Idi Amin. I think they were a lot more bloodthirsty than Gadaf.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Mar '16 04:05
    Originally posted by st dominics preview

This is another highly dubious claim without any credible evidence to support it. Fletcher was shot outside the Libyan Embassy in London during an anti-Gaddafi demonstration; that Gaddafi ordered this is speculation at best.