Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 17 Jun '16 18:43
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/06/muslim-youth-league-calls-massacre-gay-rights-parade/

    Apparently some Muslims are calling for another massacre in Turkey for doing a gay rights march this weekend.

    Just how extensive is this type of thinking in Islam?
  2. 17 Jun '16 18:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/06/muslim-youth-league-calls-massacre-gay-rights-parade/

    Apparently some Muslims are calling for another massacre in Turkey for doing a gay rights march this weekend.

    Just how extensive is this type of thinking in Islam?
    Homophobia is pretty widespread. Fortunately, due to the gay rights movement that started in the trailer parks of Redneckistan, the situation has improved for homosexuals in certain societies.
  3. 17 Jun '16 19:25
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Homophobia is pretty widespread. Fortunately, due to the gay rights movement that started in the trailer parks of Redneckistan, the situation has improved for homosexuals in certain societies.
    Before Orlando, when was the last gay massacre?
  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    18 Jun '16 09:59 / 2 edits
    Just how extensive is this type of thinking in Islam?

    That depends on which country you're talking about, I can't tell you what they are all thinking, but In Turkey and the United Arab Emirates for example, you'll see women in bikinis, and gays and lesbians (while not approved of) are at least tolerated. Others such as Iran, a woman without a burka could be severely punished or even executed, and gay's had better keep it in the closet!
  5. 18 Jun '16 18:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    Just how extensive is this type of thinking in Islam?

    That depends on which country you're talking about, I can't tell you what they are all thinking, but In Turkey and the United Arab Emirates for example, you'll see women in bikinis, and gays and lesbians (while not approved of) are at least tolerated. Others such as Iran, a woman without a burka could be severely punished or even executed, and gay's had better keep it in the closet!
    If Bill718 were not an arrogant troll, he should stop fabricating his ignorant 'facts'.
    Does Bill718 know any women who live in or have recently visited Iran?

    It's FALSE that in Iran 'a woman without a burka could be ... even executed'.
    Iran's dress code for women does *not* require covering quite to the extent of a burka.
    And the maximum punishment for 'bad hijab' is 60 days in prison or 70 lashes (I object
    to any such punishment for 'bad hijab' ), which is not close to the death penalty.

    There are many real things in Iran that should be criticized. But Westerners lose their
    credibility when they make up exaggerated 'facts' in order to attack Islamic authorities.
  6. 18 Jun '16 20:00
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    If Bill718 were not an arrogant troll, he should stop fabricating his ignorant 'facts'.
    Does Bill718 know any women who live in or have recently visited Iran?

    It's FALSE that in Iran 'a woman without a burka could be ... even executed'.
    Iran's dress code for women does *not* require covering quite to the extent of a burka.
    And the maximum punishment ...[text shortened]... their
    credibility when they make up exaggerated 'facts' in order to attack Islamic authorities.
    I see they have just put the price of a bottle of whisky up in Saudi Arabia .
    It's gone from 50 to 70 lashes a bottle .
  7. 18 Jun '16 21:20
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I see they have just put the price of a bottle of whisky up in Saudi Arabia .
    It's gone from 50 to 70 lashes a bottle .
    Prior to Gaddafi's fall, my dad went on holiday in Libya. Armed with some liquor and a stack of dirty magazines, they were able to bribe most of the corrupt officials.
  8. 19 Jun '16 19:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Prior to Gaddafi's fall, my dad went on holiday in Libya. Armed with some liquor and a stack of dirty magazines, they were able to bribe most of the corrupt officials.
    Brave man ,but it worked thumbs up from me .
  9. 19 Jun '16 19:39
    Originally posted by phil3000 to KazetNagorra
    Brave man ,but it worked thumbs up from me .
    Actually, Westerners routinely visited or worked with little fear in Gaddafi's Libya.
    Gaddafi placed importance upon protecting and taking care of Westerners in the oil industry.
  10. 19 Jun '16 20:09
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Brave man ,but it worked thumbs up from me .
    I don't think it was very dangerous at that time. They had a local guide and traveled in a group (they were going through the desert in 4x4s), which incidentally was also a requirement set by the Libyan government. They didn't want Western journalists snooping about unimpeded, obviously.
  11. 19 Jun '16 21:46
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't think it was very dangerous at that time.
    Before the Arab Spring, and despite occasional terrorist attacks, a Westerner could have travelled in reasonable safety and security overland from Istanbul to the Moroccan coast. In retrospect I really wish I had been that Westerner.
  12. 19 Jun '16 22:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke to KazetNagorra
    Before the Arab Spring, and despite occasional terrorist attacks, a Westerner could have
    travelled in reasonable safety and security overland from Istanbul to the Moroccan coast.
    In retrospect I really wish I had been that Westerner.
    When I travel, I tend to be more worried about ordinary crime than terrorism.

    "...a Westerner could have travelled in reasonable safety and security..."
    --Teinosuke

    It would have depended largely upon how much the Westerner could afford to spend.

    "In retrospect, I really wish I had been that Westerner."
    --Teinosuke

    Do you believe that being a gay man would have put you at any more risk?
  13. 20 Jun '16 02:43 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    When I travel, I tend to be more worried about ordinary crime than terrorism.

    Likewise. The worst thing that ever happened to me on holiday was the theft of my camera in Xi'an.

    It would have depended largely upon how much the Westerner could afford to spend.

    The trip would have been expensive, of course, but in 2009/10 I believe I would not have felt the need to expend money on particular security precautions. Numerous European tourists were travelling independently and at minimal statistical risk to Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco, and at slightly higher risk to Lebanon and Egypt. The Libyan government at that date insisted that foreign visitors should be accompanied by a local guide, but really only Algeria presented anything more than a very remote statistical risk, and was the only country in which I might have felt that I wished to pay for the services of a guide for safety's sake.

    Do you believe that being a gay man would have put you at any more risk?

    I would not have chosen to publicise my sexuality in countries where homosexuality is highly stigmatised, so on that basis, No.
  14. 20 Jun '16 17:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    Before Orlando, when was the last gay massacre?
    KN, will you answer the question?

    When was the last gay massacre anywhere in the world?
  15. 20 Jun '16 18:47 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/06/muslim-youth-league-calls-massacre-gay-rights-parade/

    Apparently some Muslims are calling for another massacre in Turkey for doing a gay rights march this weekend.

    Just how extensive is this type of thinking in Islam?
    In some parts of the Islamic world homosexuality with young boys (actually paedophilia) is not only tolerated but a part of the culture, for example among the Pashtuns of Pakistan/Afghanistan. I suspect this may even be a cultural legacy left over from the Greek domination of the then Persian empire.

    http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/brinkley/article/Afghanistan-s-dirty-little-secret-3176762.php