1. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 02:10
    Should Health insurance companies be able to require potential customers to undergo genetic testing before they are issued with insurance?
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 02:27
    Are you sure that they can't legally?
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 03:28
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Are you sure that they can't legally?
    They can't insist here in Australia, yet.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 03:58
    It shouldn't be a requirement but if a ins, company wants to give it a try I guess I'd be ok. I don't think that it would be popular. But as a requirement across the board - heck no.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 05:48
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Should Health insurance companies be able to require potential customers to undergo genetic testing before they are issued with insurance?
    If my insurance company would have such a demand, then I go to another Health Insurance company.
    The customers always have the powers, if we chose to exercise it!
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 06:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If my insurance company would have such a demand, then I go to another Health Insurance company.
    The customers always have the powers, if we chose to exercise it!
    You can only exercise that choice until all insurance companies require testing.

"I'm sorry Mr Smith but you are genetically predisposed to disease X so we can't offer you insurance. But look on the bright side, at least you know what you're pehaps going to die from."
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 08:58
    You can only exercise that choice until all insurance companies require testing.

"I'm sorry Mr Smith but you are genetically predisposed to disease X so we can't offer you insurance. But look on the bright side, at least you know what you're pehaps going to die from."
    There will always be some insurance companies that doesn't follow the main stream.
    Expensive? Yes perhaps, but you have a choice.
  8. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 16:442 edits
    I sold insurance for a while... n the question 'do you have any pre existing conditions?' ... 'oh, well thats not covered'.... 'but if you loose a finger we'll pay you £2000' ( one man actually replied 'oh can i sell my hands then?'... n bought the policy... eeek ) ..... it is a problem, didn't do that job long... I'm sure if genetic tests are available some will want to use them... agree tho the market will provide some who won't .. or won't use them in regulating fees. I think it should be illegal for them to be used in vetting customers. but once you've got the cover you might want such tests...

think they illustrate the problem of actuary vs social benefit... think even private insurance should work quite simply; in the total cost of providing health care is X divided by Y users. If i had to go private i'd prefer a company that provided the hospitals to... like u pay for a part of it...n its there should u need it. Luckily we have NHS 🙂 Although you could debate if its fair that someone who takes good care of there health should pay as much as someone who's indifferent?
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 21:33

Or they will make up a bunch of crap to get more money.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree