1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 15:53
    Glenn Greenwald is the American reporter who broke the story about the NSA spying on Verizon and the PRISM program. At least one member of the Fourth Estate is doing their job. In a time of sycophants drunk on proximity to power ceding their responsibility to the citizens of this country in exchange for a ticket to the White House Press Dinner, Glenn Greenwald is showing the value of a free press.

Thank you, Mr. Greenwald.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 18:24
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Glenn Greenwald is the American reporter who broke the story about the NSA spying on Verizon and the PRISM program. At least one member of the Fourth Estate is doing their job. In a time of sycophants drunk on proximity to power ceding their responsibility to the citizens of this country in exchange for a ticket to the White House Press Dinner, Glenn Greenwald is showing the value of a free press.

Thank you, Mr. Greenwald.
    Hero, indeed.

Now, if he'd only stop being a fearmongering reactionary, he'd be perfect.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 20:422 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 21:54
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Complete speculation, probably unfounded. There are plenty of leftist (and rightist) media outlets in the US and Greenwald himself has written for the NY Times, LA Times and American Conservative. He's also been invited to speak at many prominent American universities (including Harvard and Yale). He worked for salon.com until less than a year ago when he left voluntarily.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 22:35

6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 00:27
    Let's be serious; Ann Coulter's visibility in the popular US media is not based on her exposition of standard right wing crazy talk being treated as more intellectually valid than Noam Chomsky's ideas.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 21:041 edit

8. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 21:19
    Whatever about that, unlikely.
    You are correct and I will applaud you.

You were indeed one of the first to sing the praises of Glenn Greenwald.

I am not as backward as you seem to think I am.

Bear in mind that I am praising you in this post.

( Unusual I know but credit where it is due )
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 21:24
    Ann Coulter is far more physically attractive than Noam Chomsky. At any rate, her media visibility is largely on FoxNews. Noam would probably be taken more seriously if he hadn't been a Cambodian Holocaust denier and if he wasn't so prone to conspiracy talk.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 22:252 edits

11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 20:21
    You answered your own question. Chomsky is not that popular in the US media because his views are so far outside the mainstream. Your response to the OP was about "the value of a free press... in the UK" which you specifically contrasted with the US.

Neither Chomsky nor Greenwald have been victims of anything that would constitute a limitation on their freedoms. Chomsky's views are outside the mainstream and Greenwald has had plenty of play.

As for Ann Coulter, she is an attractive woman whether you perceive it or not. Of course it is subjective and any one person could fail to see it that way, but most American men would find her attractive. In addition, she's a talented public speaker and her aggressive speaking style is tailor made for cable news. Sure, the content of what she says is usually far right nonsense, but comparing her to Noam Chomsky misses the point.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 02:48

13. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 14:32
    Popular US media is concerned with selling advertising. How much advertising do you think Chomsky would bring in? You're right that Ann Coulter would be more likely to be invited to the white house. Politicians want big name donors for their political campaigns. How many big name donors do you think are interested in what Noam Chomsky has to say?
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 17:151 edit
    Given that it's a patriotic American cliche to say 'the United States has the most free and diverse media in the world', I suspect that you (Sh76), who seem satisfied with the mainstream US media as it is, will not believe my statement (above).

For future reference, I do love the United States but I certainly don't buy into any of this "we're #1" nonsense; it's sheer bunkum for the masses and anyone with half a brain realizes that. I have no illusions that the US is the best at everything and nor do I see any profit in repeating that nonsense. That politicians sometimes do it is merely a sign of their contempt for the average voter; it's kissing babies, not serious dialogue.

Whether "mainstream US media allows a narrower range of views to be regularly expressed than the media in some European societies" is true I have no idea, though your use of the word "some" as a qualification certainly makes it objectively likely (and also takes any real meaning out of the assertion). What I did object to is your pointing at the case of Glenn Greenwald as evidence that the UK media is any freer than the US media (which was clearly within the scope of your implication, IMO).

By the way, I could not care less about whether or not 'most American men would find (Ann Coulter) attractive'.

Nor should you, but it is a very real factor in why she is popular, decreasing the validity of her comparison to Noam Chomsky.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 00:391 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Ann Coulter is far more physically attractive than Noam Chomsky. At any rate, her media visibility is largely on FoxNews. Noam would probably be taken more seriously if he hadn't been a Cambodian Holocaust denier and if he wasn't so prone to conspiracy talk.
    Seems like you would have to tape Ann's mouth (so she can't speak) to be able to do her.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree