Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Jan '13 03:48
    Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms With the
    Islamic Republic of Iran by Flynt Leverett and Hilllary Mann Leverett (2013)

Flynt Leverett is a professor of international affairs at Penn State.
    Hillary Mann Leverett is a lecturer at American University.
    The Leveretts have worked for the National Security Council and State Department.
    Flynt Leverett also worked for the CIA.

This post is not a comprehensive critical review of this book.

The Leveretts argue (convincingly, as far as I have read) that the Islamic Republic
    of Iran has been unfairly demonized in US political culture, which has influenced
    the US government into making decisions on Iran not in the best US interests.
    While Iran's far from perfect, of course, the Leveretts argue that life in Iran's more
    diverse and often better than the US media shows or most Americans believe.
    In particular, the Leveretts argue that the status of Iran's women is better (apart
    from dress restrictions) under the Islamic Republic than under the Shah's regime.
    As I already knew, for decades US political culture unfairly demonized the
    People's Republic of China. The Leveretts argue that the United States is
    making the same kind of fundamental misjudgement again toward Iran today.

If you believe that you already know everything you need to know about Iran
    and you would prefer that your prejudices not be disturbed by any new facts,
    then you probably will be quite unhappy if you read this book.
    I would recommend this book for everyone else.
  2. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    24 Jan '13 22:49
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms With the
    Islamic Republic of Iran by Flynt Leverett and Hilllary Mann Leverett (2013)

Flynt Leverett is a professor of international affairs at Penn State.
    Hillary Mann Leverett is a lecturer at American University.
    The Leveretts have worked for the National Security Council and State Depart ...[text shortened]... ill be quite unhappy if you read this book.
    I would recommend this book for everyone else.
    I'll look into the book, but Iran's dissing of Obama has led to the harshest economic sanctions in a decade. The west uniformly agrees that Iran must not acquire nuclear weapons. Iran has pledged publicly, on many occasions, that the existence of Israel is an offense to Islam.
  3. 25 Jan '13 00:03
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I'll look into the book, but Iran's dissing of Obama has led to the harshest economic sanctions in a decade. The west uniformly agrees that Iran must not acquire nuclear weapons. Iran has pledged publicly, on many occasions, that the existence of Israel is an offense to Islam.
    Israel has already warned America about Iran and has decalred
    that they ( Israel ) will go it alone if America does not help them
    to destroy Iran's nuclear capability.
  4. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    25 Jan '13 01:27
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Israel has already warned America about Iran and has decalred
    that they ( Israel ) will go it alone if America does not help them
    to destroy Iran's nuclear capability.
    I didn't realize that the UN had deputized Israel with the right to destroy nuclear weapons capability in any nation in the world that they choose.
  5. 25 Jan '13 02:25
    Originally posted by spruce112358 to johnnylongwoody
    I didn't realize that the UN had deputized Israel with the right to destroy
    nuclear weapons capability in any nation in the world that they choose.
    In their book, Flynt and Hillary Leverett strongly criticise the Israeli lobby for
    demonizing Iran and apparently attempting to incite the United States into more
    armed conflict against Iran, which presumably would be to Israel's advantage.

For many years, the US government and US media have disingenuously ignored
    Israel's nuclear weapons arsenal and Israel's disregard for international law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu

Amnesty International and some other human rights organizations seem to regard
    Mordechai Vanunu as a 'prisoner of conscience', oppressed by the state of Israel.
    Vanunu has claimed that the Israeli authorities have been particularly harsh in
    his case because they perceive him as a 'traitor' to his religion of birth (Vanunu
    converted from Judaism to Christianity). Vanunu has attempted to renounce his
    Israeli citizenship and to leave Israel, but the Israeli authorities have denied this.
    So Mordechai Vanunu could be considered the equivalent of a 'refusenik' in Israel
    ('refusenik' referred to the Jews who were denied permission to leave the USSR).
  6. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    25 Jan '13 04:24
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    I didn't realize that the UN had deputized Israel with the right to destroy nuclear weapons capability in any nation in the world that they choose.
    The UN is a freaking joke. As an American it drives me nuts that we pay a quarter of the budget to fund an organization that is so dedicated to anti-Americanism. Israel doesn't need UN permission to defend itself. It's nice that the UN thinks so, but Israel's going to protect herself.