1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 23:211 edit
    For any British participants on this dismal forum, this is one of the more genuinely significant speeches in Parliament for a long time and a really great maiden speech from a 20 year old MP.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/back-in-black#.xw7kKvKzM

At last we see that the Scots voters got it right in the recent general election and only they got the politicians they deserve. Something to shame Labour for many years to come. As she rightly says, what the people want is an opposition. They will not get that from Labour as things stand.

“Ultimately – people are needing a voice, people are needing help,” she concluded. “Let’s give them it.”

"I am now the only 20 year old in the whole of the UK whom the chancellor is prepared to help with housing," (Because an MP gets taxpayer's money to meet the cost of housing in London, but young people are to be deprived of help with housing costs)

“The SNP did not triumph on a wave of nationalism … We triumphed on a wave of hope,” she said. “Hope that there was something different, something better than the Thatcherite neo-liberal policies that are produced from this chamber.” (Ooops that word slips out again - "neoliberal" )

The MP for Paisley and Renfrewshire South said she wanted to “hold a mirror to the face of a [Labour] party that seems to have forgotten the very people they’re supposed to represent”.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree