Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Feb '12 18:57
    That's what a Mississippi pol wants to rename the body of water currently referred to as the Gulf of Mexico. Certainly, with BP's help, we exercised dominion over it a couple of years ago.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/02/mississippi_rep_wants_the_gulf_of_mexico_renamed_t.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Through the link is a video which proves that the idea originated with Steven Colbert.
  2. 11 Feb '12 23:07
    I live and grew up on the Gulf of Mexico. I like the name "Gulf of Mexico."
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    11 Feb '12 23:14
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I live and grew up on the Gulf of Mexico. I like the name "Gulf of Mexico."
    Mexico is an indigenous name. We do not need to name it after an Italian (Amerigo Vespucci) instead.
  4. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    12 Feb '12 00:04
    Is this ambitious enough. Why not rename the Pacific? Right of conquest surely?

But not the Atlantic. Didn't conquer that did you?
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Feb '12 00:22
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Is this ambitious enough. Why not rename the Pacific? Right of conquest surely?

But not the Atlantic. Didn't conquer that did you?
    That's right, Ireland's mighty navy serves as a check on our ambitions.
  6. 12 Feb '12 01:45
    Somebody told me that the bill was introduced as a jest to make fun of the anti-immigration crowd. Sounds plausible.
  7. 12 Feb '12 11:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Mexico is an indigenous name. We do not need to name it after an Italian (Amerigo Vespucci) instead.
    How about renaming it "the Gulf of Lincoln"? Now that would piss off the politicians in Mississippi.