1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 03:203 edits
    Since the Sandy Hook killings, this is a subject has gotten a lot of press coverage. I admire President Obama and others trying to curb gun violence in America, but I think very little will come of these efforts. At this point in time there are more guns in America than there are America citizens (Over 300 million!) After 200+ years, guns have become so much a part of American culture, that the most President Obama will be able to do is tinker with the laws concerning the most destructive weapons, and hope for the best. For decades the NRA has preached "education" as a cure all for gun violence, and despite the fact that most American's privately admit this program has accomplished nothing, there seems to be little interest in changing the present system. President Obama is on the wrong side of public opinion here, and should focus his efforts on the economy or other issues, rather than try to fight a battle that cannot be won.😏
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 06:42
    Originally posted by bill718
    Since the Sandy Hook killings, this is a subject has gotten a lot of press coverage. I admire President Obama and others trying to curb gun violence in America, but I think very little will come of these efforts. At this point in time there are more guns in America than there are America citizens (Over 300 million!) After 200+ years, guns have become so muc ...[text shortened]... forts on the economy or other issues, rather than try to fight a battle that cannot be won.😏
    Obama has to fight guns. It isn't his issue anyway. He is just a puppet.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 20:12
    Since the Sandy Hook killings, this is a subject has gotten a lot of press coverage. I admire President Obama and others trying to curb gun violence in America, but I think very little will come of these efforts. At this point in time there are more guns in America than there are America citizens (Over 300 million!) After 200+ years, guns have become so muc ...[text shortened]... forts on the economy or other issues, rather than try to fight a battle that cannot be won.😏
    Gun violence reached reached its high point in 1974. The issues are non issues, by fear mongers exploiting a single tragic event.
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 20:26
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Gun violence reached reached its high point in 1974. The issues are non issues, by fear mongers exploiting a single tragic event.
    Yeah... and the 8,583 gun deaths every year in America are "single tragic events."...Right?? (That's a LOT of single tragic events!!)

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/02/gun-violence-in-america-the-13-key-questions-with-13-concise-answers/272727/
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 18:25
    Yeah... and the 8,583 gun deaths every year in America are "single tragic events."...Right?? (That's a LOT of single tragic events!!)

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/02/gun-violence-in-america-the-13-key-questions-with-13-concise-answers/272727/
    In 1974 there were 20,000 plus. At 8,583 with a growing population and more guns out there we are doing pretty well. Perfect, no. How about addressing the real issues instead of cosmetic nonsense like assault rifles that aren't and the size of magazines.

How many of those 8500 are drug and gang murders?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree