1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 21:55
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Zeca Afonso
    He won't be eligible under the strict terms of the 25-year-rule until next year. Good to see we're all breaking it (except sh76).
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 22:04
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    He won't be eligible under the strict terms of the 25-year-rule until next year. Good to see we're all breaking it (except sh76).
    You're giving me grief because of one year?

Brits and their rules. 😠
  3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 23:38
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You're giving me grief because of one year?

Brits and their rules. 😠
    As you can see from the fact that I broke two of my own rules by nominating twenty-one names, one of whom died in 2004, I wasn't actually taking them all that seriously.
  4. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 23:54
    Geoffrey Chaucer
    William Shakespeare
    William Tyndale
    Oliver Cromwell
    Isaac Newton
    Captain Cook
    William Wilberforce
    Horatio Nelson and the Duke of Wellington
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Charles Dickens
    My housemate is encouraging me to add Edward Jenner to this list - which I think is fair enough.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 05:09
    I left out James Watson because of the rules and you go and nominate Crick??

🙁
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 05:12
    Brits also have the advantage of there being no existing list of people who are already on it.
  7. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 11:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    I left out James Watson because of the rules and you go and nominate Crick??

🙁
    Well - Crick is dead, so I thought it was a venial sin. Watson is still living, so that would be a mortal sin.

But actually I was having real difficulty filling that tenth spot, after fixing the boundary for the second set at people who died after 1875. There are lots of famous Brits I could have nominated, but I couldn't think of a tenth person with the absolute fame of someone like Churchill (for instance, other great Prime Ministers, like Gladstone, Disraeli, Attlee, are kind of partisan choices).

I suppose I could nominate Gladstone and Dizzy together, thus including both a liberal and a conservative, and allowing Crick to wait his proper turn in 2029!
  8. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 11:19
    Originally posted by sh76
    Brits also have the advantage of there being no existing list of people who are already on it.
    That's actually an advantage for you - it means your choices are more interesting than mine!
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 11:20
    My housemate is encouraging me to add Edward Jenner to this list - which I think is fair enough.
    Jenner is definitely a good shout.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 11:35
    Mohlomi
    Shaka
    Moshoeshoe
    Makhanda
    Sheikh Yusuf
    Simon van der Stel
    Sol T. Plaatje
    Thomas Pringle
    Jan Christiaan Smuts
    Eugene Marais
    Olive Schreiner

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree