Happy Progressive day!!

Happy Progressive day!!

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
16 Apr 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
For me it's not really relevant what is "fair", I care more about an efficient economy.
What is an efficient economy?

K

Germany

Moves
16 Apr 11

Originally posted by whodey
What is an efficient economy?
One that maximizes utility.

F

Moves
16 Apr 11

All I know is that GE didn't pay any taxes this year dispite making around $14 billion.
You think people on "the left" who advocate progressive taxation embrace corporations like GE avoiding or being immune to taxation?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
16 Apr 11

All I know is that GE didn't pay any taxes this year dispite making around $14 billion. Of course, so long as you greese the wheels in Washington and have an army of lawyers/accountants your good to go. EVeryone else must be leached off of.
I love how you assume "progressives" (whatever that means) would be okay with this, especially considering how you have worked so hard to carve out a "moderate" ideology for yourself that avoids stereotypes.

w

Moves
16 Apr 11

Originally posted by FMF
You think people on "the left" who advocate progressive taxation embrace corporations like GE avoiding or being immune to taxation?
No but they support those "progressives" in power who do.

w

Moves
16 Apr 11

Originally posted by wittywonka
I love how you assume "progressives" (whatever that means) would be okay with this, especially considering how you have worked so hard to carve out a "moderate" ideology for yourself that avoids stereotypes.
What is a moderate? Let's begin with the fiscal aspect of governing. You have those who don't think government should tax at all and those who don't think deficits matter. I think we can both agree that these are extremist ends of the spectrum, so it stands that moderates are somewhere in between. Where in between do you stand, or do you think that deficits don't matter as well?

w

Moves
16 Apr 11
1 edit

w

Moves
16 Apr 11
2 edits

w

Moves
16 Apr 11
1 edit

D
incipit parodia

Moves
16 Apr 11

What is a moderate? Let's begin with the fiscal aspect of governing. You have those who don't think government should tax at all and those who don't think deficits matter. I think we can both agree that these are extremist ends of the spectrum, so it stands that moderates are somewhere in between. Where in between do you stand, or do you think that deficits don't matter as well?
A tax that is not flat-rate is left wing.

A political moderate is someone who does not believe either that there should be no taxes or that deficits don't matter.

The actors in Sex in the City are whores.

I learn a little more every day.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
16 Apr 11

Originally posted by spruce112358
Well, let's think of some examples:

If one guy makes $50,000, and another guy makes $300,000 and neither pay any tax, the richer guy is getting a huge "tax break".

But if the guy making $50,000 pays $5,000 or 10% while the other guy pays $30,000 or 10% -- again, according to the left, the rich guy is getting a "tax break".

So you on the left mu ...[text shortened]... t nobody is getting a "tax break."

So what is it and how do you arrive at that answer?
Nobody on the left wants to take a swing at this one?

Let's put it another way. I am really rich. I make a hundred times more than you. I also pay precisely a hundred times over what you pay in taxes.

But, to a man I think, you on the left are of one voice that this situation would represent a huge "tax break for the wealthy".

I've never understood that position, but I'm happy to hear the rationale of why paying 'X' times your tax rate would be so much fairer. So, for leftists, what is 'X', how did you formulate it, and why is it so much fairer than if 'X' were (in the proposed case) 100 -- as a lot of conservatives think it should be.

K

Germany

Moves
16 Apr 11

Let's put it another way. I am really rich. I make a hundred times more than you. I also pay precisely a hundred times over what you pay in taxes.

But, to a man I think, you on the left are of one voice that this situation would represent a huge "tax break for the wealthy".

I've never unders ...[text shortened]... 'X' were (in the proposed case) 100 -- as a lot of conservatives think it should be.
Who do you think is "on the left" here?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
16 Apr 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Who do you think is "on the left" here?
Let start with you, KN. Do you believe in progressive taxation? If so, that is far enough to the left to count. Give a whirl justifying it in the context described.

silicon valley

Moves
16 Apr 11

Whodey has made it official. April 15, which is when income taxes are due, is to be a day of celebration for progressives!! This is your time to shine and take pride in all that you have accomplished.

I only have one question. Why is it that the government knows everything about me, but needs me to file taxes at the end of the year? I mean, they can tr ...[text shortened]... eople one-tenth part of their income.
- Ben Franklin

Hilarious!! You crack me up Ben!! 😵
i'm pretty sure it's to get two data points for each major transaction.

if the govt wasn't requiring W-2 info from both you and your employer, how could you be sure your employer put down the right number for taxes he withheld on your behalf?

would you trust him not to keep a bit for himself?

silicon valley

Moves
16 Apr 11

I've never unders ...[text shortened]... 'X' were (in the proposed case) 100 -- as a lot of conservatives think it should be.
the more taxes govt can squeeze out of the populace, the bigger govt can get, and the more public employees it can employ. as witness the frothing crowds of them in Wisconsin.

did you really think it had to make more sense than that?

"charge all the traffic will bear."