1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 11:29
    I was frankly stunned by these figures:

[Y]ou've received over $600,000 in speaking fees from Goldman Sachs in one year," Sanders said to Clinton.

In 2013, Clinton made $3.15 million from talking to groups like Goldman Sachs, UBS, and Morgan Stanley, according to a campaign release of her speaking fees.

That year, $225,000 was a standard fee for her speaking engagement to those banks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie-sanders-hammers-hillary-clinton-over-wall-street-ties-democratic-debate-january-2016/

Is Bernie correct that this relationship makes any possibility of a President Clinton banking reform remote?

And what did Hillary say in speeches in 2013 that was so interesting that finance capitalists were willing to spend $225,000 on (which is more than 4 times what the average US household made in a year in 2013)?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 12:14
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    And what did Hillary say in speeches in 2013 that was so interesting that finance capitalists were willing to spend $225,000 on (which is more than 4 times what the average US household made in a year in 2013)?
    'Speaking fees' is clearly just a mechanism to give donations without them being labelled as such. 'Donations' are just a mechanism to give bribes without them being labelled as such.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 12:24
    But I thought Obama "fixed" the banking system like he "fixed" health care. :'(
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 12:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    Your Obama obsession is always pathetic.

Here's some interesting reading on how President Sanders will reform the US banking system: https://berniesanders.com/statement-by-senator-bernie-sanders-on-wall-street-and-the-economy/
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 13:12
    You thought wrong (as usual).

Pro tip: whatever you are thinking, the opposite is true.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 13:14
    Here's some interesting reading on how President Sanders will reform the US banking system:
    Would you happen to know what Bernie's views are on 'universal basic income'?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 13:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Would you happen to know what Bernie's views are on 'universal basic income'?
    He seems to be for it without committing to a specific proposal:

Stack0verfl10w: What is your stance on Universal Basic Income(UBI)?

Bernie Sanders: So long as you have Republicans in control of the House and the Senate, and so long as you have a Congress dominated by big money, I can guarantee you that the discussion about universal basic income is going to go nowhere in a hurry. But, if we can develop a strong grassroots movement which says that every man, woman and child in this country is entitled to a minimum standard of living — is entitled to health care, is entitled to education, is entitled to housing — then we can succeed. We are living in the richest country in the history of the world, yet we have the highest rate of childhood poverty of almost any major country and millions of people are struggling to put food on the table. It is my absolute conviction that everyone in this country deserves a minimum standard of living and we’ve got to go forward in the fight to make that happen.

http://latest.com/2015/05/bernie-sanders-answers-the-tough-questions-during-a-reddit-ama/
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 14:13

Which means I always know the answer, unlike yourself. 😵
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 17:59

Here's another tip: Whatever Obama says to the public, believe the opposite. 😏
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 18:04
    He seems to be for it without committing to a specific proposal:

Stack0verfl10w: What is your stance on Universal Basic Income(UBI)?

Bernie Sanders: So long as you have Republicans in control of the House and the Senate, and so long as you have a Congress dominated by big money, I can guarantee you that the discussion about universal basic income i ...[text shortened]... /b]

http://latest.com/2015/05/bernie-sanders-answers-the-tough-questions-during-a-reddit-ama/
    Is this for doing nothing? 😏
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 20:09
    Which means I always know the answer, unlike yourself. 😵
    Its just a pity that you feel compelled to lie every time so although you know the answer, you actually say the opposite.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 20:12
    Bernie Sanders: So long as you have Republicans in control of the House and the Senate, and so long as you have a Congress dominated by big money, I can guarantee you that the discussion about universal basic income is going to go nowhere in a hurry.
    I believe it was once almost implemented by a republican president. Also it is to some extent already implemented in Alaska, a conservative state.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 20:42
    I believe it was once almost implemented by a republican president. Also it is to some extent already implemented in Alaska, a conservative state.
    And implemented by a republican governor, Sarah Palin. Her belief was that the oil discovered there, at least partially belonged to the people, not big oil.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 21:06

Is Bernie correct that this relationship makes any possibility of a President Clinton banking reform remote?
    Yes, almost as remote as Sanders' shot at becoming president.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 21:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, almost as remote as Sanders' shot at becoming president.
    I actually think Sanders has a better chance at the presidency than the chance of Clinton implementing comprehensive banking reform. Neither seems likely, but the latter is practically impossible.
    I think the good thing about Sanders is that it has allowed people who don't quite fit the Republican / Democratic mould to air their views and hopefully some ideas will get incorporated by the next president whoever it is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree