1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 14:001 edit
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-board-votes-cut-hillary-060257161.html

This is how curriculum is decided in US public schools.

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to remove mentions of Hillary

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to remove mentions of Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller from the state’s mandatory history curriculum — but will keep in Moses’ influence on U.S. founding documents, The Dallas Morning News reported.

The changes are part of an effort to selectively ”streamline” information in history classes for some 5.4 million schoolchildren.

As a part of the board’s assessment, each historical figure was given a numerical importance rating from one to 20 by committee members, according to the newspaper. Clinton, the first woman in U.S. history to win a presidential nomination by a major political party, only ranked a five. Keller, a writer and activist born in 1888 who was the first deaf and blind American to earn a college degree, rated a seven.

Local members of the Texas legislature rated a 20. All students are required to learn about the current U.S. president, so Donald Trump was not assessed.

Texas Monthly reported that board members had considered cutting a “value-laden” phrase about “all the heroic defenders who gave their lives” in the 1836 battle of the Alamo against Mexican soldiers in what was then Mexican Texas. One state official called it “politically correct nonsense,” and the board chose not to drop it.

“In Texas, you don’t mess with the Alamo and you don’t mess with our Christian heritage,” Texas Values President Jonathan M. Saenz said in a statement. “We applaud the majority of the State Board of Education for doing the right thing by restoring our foundational rights and history.”

The vote is preliminary and may still change. The final vote is in November.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 14:05
    Originally, this article appeared in the Left wing Huffington Post, assumingly to attack the state of Texas from burying the memory of famous women in American politics as a sexist thing to do. But really, all they end up doing is show how easy it is to sanitize history in public schools according to your own bias as to who is important and who is not.

Then again, if you are a Leftists, don't you want the memory of Hillary stricken from history?

I mean, really.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 14:18
    Originally posted by @whodey
    But really, all they end up doing is show how easy it is to sanitize history in public schools according to your own bias as to who is important and who is not.
    Would you like to see this made less easy?

Is that your point?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 14:241 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Would you like to see this made less easy?

Is that your point?
    Naturally, when I critique an issue the retort is, well what collectivist action by one man or small group of people will make it all better?

You have to understand, I don't think this way, although most probably do.

We are all hopelessly biased, and so it grieves me that such decisions have to be made at all. But the smaller the group making such decisions, the more likely people will be outraged by it, if they only knew.

Luckily, most are clueless and are then willingly indoctrinated by the powers that be.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 14:46
    Naturally, when I critique an issue the retort is, well what collectivist action by one man or small group of people will make it all better?

You have to understand, I don't think this way, although most probably do.

We are all hopelessly biased, and so it grieves me that such decisions have to be made at all. But the smaller the group making such dec ...[text shortened]... knew.

Luckily, most are clueless and are then willingly indoctrinated by the powers that be.
    What are you rambling about?

You seemed to complain it's too easy to make such decisions. Would you like to see it made less easy?

Aren't you an advocate of homeschooling? Certainly, with homeschooling there will be much, much more bias?

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

What is your point with this thread?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 14:551 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    What are you rambling about?

You seemed to complain it's too easy to make such decisions. Would you like to see it made less easy?

Aren't you an advocate of homeschooling? Certainly, with homeschooling there will be much, much more bias?

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

What is your point with this thread?
    My solution would be to get parents more involved in education, whether this be with homeschool or participation on deciding such things in public school.

After all, what are children are taught is up to the parent.

Of course, in Europe I think public school is mandatory. The state owns your child and not the other way round.

If so, then you have no such rights and will just need to grin and bear it.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 15:18
    My solution would be to get parents more involved in education, whether this be with homeschool or participation on deciding such things in public school.

Of course, in Europe I think public school is mandatory. The state owns your child and not the other way round.

If so, then you have no such rights and will just need to grin and bear it.
    So, long story short, you are in favour of more bias, yes?
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 15:21

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to remove mentions of Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller from the state’s mandatory history c ...[text shortened]... ts and history.”

I guess they're not removing the Lord's prayer ?? 😴

Texas State Board of Indoctrination ?? 😆
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 15:24

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to remove mentions of Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller from the state’s mandatory history c ...[text shortened]... ts and history.”

Yes, we know Whodey:

Liberals = The Enemy

Conservatives = REAL Americans

Yawn 😴
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 15:39
    Really?

Whether children are taught basic English, Geography, Maths, History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.... should be left up to the parents?

It is of no concern if a child grows up illiterate if the parent favours this?

A child with no grasp of dealing with money responsibly, having no idea what a mortgage is... this is totally fine if the parent favours this?

A girl not understanding her monthly period at all is not problematic if the parent favours this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree