1. Germany
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 11:02
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Interestingly, European countries (which probably have more laws - they certainly have more intervention) have fewer lawyers in general.
    More laws? More intervention? Quantized how exactly?
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 13:54
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    That is interesting, is that on a per-capita basis? If this is so, does it have to do with a need for tort-reform?
    Yes, per capita. Not exactly an authoritative source, but I've no reason to believe it's wrong:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_country_in_the_world_has_most_lawyers_per_capita

"Why" is another matter. My own completely uniformed opinion is that it might be related to the "scope" of legal roles in the US - that maybe they work in fields (e.g. financial matters) that in other countries are handled differently. Similarly (and this is entirely from memory, so may not be accurate) I read the UK has more accountants per capita that other countries. That would be partly related to the relative size of financial services in the economy, but also possibly about the scope of an accountant's role in the UK.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 13:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    More laws? More intervention? Quantized how exactly?
    Finger in the air stuff. I was trying (and probably failing) to use a phrase that would describe the size of the "role of the state" without provoking a political response. 🙂
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 15:44
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Finger in the air stuff. I was trying (and probably failing) to use a phrase that would describe the size of the "role of the state" without provoking a political response.
    "Statism". Means nothing. Means everything. Perfect.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree