1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 21:44
    @ashiitaka said
    Like much of the first world, America is in relative decline. There is an important question that ought to be answered, though:

Who takes America's place?

Be careful what you wish for.
    Replace the USA as what? Economically China and the EU should rise to rough parity with the US.
  2. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 21:58
    @ashiitaka said
    Like much of the first world, America is in relative decline. There is an important question that ought to be answered, though:

Who takes America's place?

Be careful what you wish for.
    Ideal outcome is probably a Cold War between the US and China which both of them lose. (Let me be clear - a Cold War; no decent human being wants a hot one).

If the EU had been sensible and far-sighted enough to forge a common foreign policy, it might prudently have aimed to have sat back and watched.
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 21:594 edits
    China could do it but it wouldn't be sustainable.
    War in the south China Sea is going to happen!
    Probably the greatest naval battle ever!
    Governments are hoarding gold like never before.
    Fiat currency will mean nothing!
    A war over which country has the "world currency" will cause people to not trust any currency!
    Gold and Silver will be the only money!

Too many exclamation points 🤔
    Too many edits 🤔
  4. RSA
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 22:52
    @athousandyoung said
    Replace the USA as what? Economically China and the EU should rise to rough parity with the US.
    The EU is in a more rapid decline than America. Economy wise, it became larger than the US after the 2004 expansion (which added 10 countries), but dreadful policy choice caused it to be surpassed by the US again in 2014. It's growing at a much slower pace, and with the loss of the UK's trillions, it's not rising to parity anytime soon.

Although China's economy has issues, its economic ascendancy is an inevitability. It was the largest economy for much of human history, and the disastrous events of the last two centuries are but a blip.
  5. RSA
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 23:231 edit
    @teinosuke said
    Ideal outcome is probably a Cold War between the US and China which both of them lose. (Let me be clear - a Cold War; no decent human being wants a hot one).

If the EU had been sensible and far-sighted enough to forge a common foreign policy, it might prudently have aimed to have sat back and watched.
    The EU doesn't work from an economic or political standpoint, and it is run by people who are too attached to federalist ideology - or their outrageous salaries - to care about the consequences of their policies for ordinary people or the morality of the means of achieving their goal. Indeed, they spent years - long before 2016 - using every diktat and dirty trick in the book to remove obstacles in their path, all while hiding behind wafer-thin "liberal values" and trite platitudes. These methods include, but are not limited to, overturning referendums, manipulating bond spreads to topple disobedient national governments, and forcing colonial conditions on the southern states.

Anyway, if one wishes to compare the records of past and current hegemons, one will find that Europe's legacy is the most horrifying of them all: genocide (of Africans, Asians, and especially Native Americans and Jews), colonization, rape and pillage on a global scale. Neither I nor many of my countrymen subscribe to Eurocentrism or hope that Europe returns to its former position. By comparison, much-derided America's time on top, while flawed, has been comparatively peaceful.

Anyway, I don't wish ill on either America or China. When I joined here as naive 17-year-old, I was not right-wing. Then I dared to criticize the EU (which is not unwarranted) - little did I realize the torrent of hateful abuse and condescension that would come my way from its supporters in and outside of Britain. While I can't really relate to either "side" of American politics, I can honestly say that I've almost never felt enmity continuing after a debate. Americans on here largely didn't care that I was young - they treated me as an equal. To Europeans, I was a nobody. Later, when I got stuck here as a direct consequence of EU law (and then almost died), America and the American way saved my life.

It is a two-way street when it comes to China. Yes, the government is terrible (to its own citizens first and foremost). But the rest of the world is so viciously Sinophobic that many Chinese people don't see the point in trying to be friends. I am surrounded by many mainlanders, and it is amazing how they soften and open up when they realize that someone has taken the time to learn the most basic of basic things about China.

The EU's inability to fix its economic problems has divided Europe rather than united it. This will lead to severe political instability, and it has long since sowed the seeds of its downfall. The world is changing, and Britain has learned the hard lessons early. Italy jettisoning the Euro is an inevitability. When that day comes, I shall not shed any tears.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 23:55
    @averagejoe1 said
    Mobs, safety in numbers, mice following The Pied Piper, dependency, you get the drift. C’mon, man, if you HAD to apply those traits to one of our two parties, which party would you apply the traits to?

I’ll wait here for the answer.
    Trump supporters.
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 00:17
    @mghrn55 said
    Trump supporters.
    ...said the guy who loves Trudeau giving preference to immigration instead of Canadians 🙄
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 00:27
    @cheesemaster said
    ...said the guy who loves Trudeau giving preference to immigration instead of Canadians 🙄
    Canada is a country larger in land area than the US with a population of 37 million.
    There are think tanks that have been tasked to come up with a plan to get the population to 100 million before the end of this century.

Would that be something that bothers you ?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 01:061 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 01:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 01:181 edit
    @mghrn55 said
    Canada is a country larger in land area than the US with a population of 37 million.
    There are think tanks that have been tasked to come up with a plan to get the population to 100 million before the end of this century.

Would that be something that bothers you ?
    I will be long dead before I see that infestation. 😉
    Your descendants will suffer.
    I have none.
    (That I know of 🤔)
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 01:20
    @vivify said
    Hopefully, no one. No singular country should have the influence the U.S. has.
    It has been that way since the beginning.
    Yet you seem to think you know better. 😆
    Can you tell me about a time in history where there wasn't a superpower governing the world?
  13. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 01:42
    @cheesemaster said
    I will be long dead before I see that infestation. 😉
    Your descendants will suffer.
    I have none.
    (That I know of 🤔)
    Infestation !! Yup !!
    When can we expect to see a new usercode from you ?
  14. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 13:47
    @vivify said
    Hopefully, no one. No singular country should have the influence the U.S. has.
    I read all the above posts, but this one just amazes me. Here is a man who is not a patriot, everyone. Let's all water ourselves down, not strive to be the biggest and the best. What a weenie. Do you think all the kids should get a trophy at the end of the game? Can you imagine leading some group and asking them to follow you? No, you will never be able to think that big. You are a follower. I predict you will vote the Democratic ticket.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Oct '20 13:49
    @mghrn55 said
    Infestation !! Yup !!
    When can we expect to see a new usercode from you ?
    Probably as soon as he gets tired getting kicked around with the one he now has! 🙂

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree