1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Dec '12 17:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    The article mentioned nothing about inflation. It is all about what they count as debt and what they do not. For example, Social Security in terms of debt is just ignored.
    Social Security is part of the national dept, and a large part. Until last year, Social Security receipts were used to disguise part of the annual deficit. The turning point arrived when more is paid out than is received. The end point is when the "trust fund" runs out, or actually much sooner, when the government runs out of fools to loan them money.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Dec '12 17:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The article does not mention it but it is clearly relevant here. A projected cost of say $40 trillion over 50 years (for example) is not given in 2012 dollars since the dollar will most likely be worth less in 2062. That's not to say I don't think taking into account future expenses for Medicare or Social Security is a smart thing to do - of course it i ...[text shortened]... intentionally overestimating future liabilities is not a very helpful step towards that goal.
    With the government running trilliion dollar deficits every year and printing money to cover it, I can't imagine why inflation would go up, can you?

Nontheless, the fact remains that the current deficit we are spoon fed does not list all of the debt. They are cooking the books just like their Wall Street cronies.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Dec '12 17:571 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Social Security is part of the national dept, and a large part. Until last year, Social Security receipts were used to disguise part of the annual deficit. The turning point arrived when more is paid out than is received. The end point is when the "trust fund" runs out, or actually much sooner, when the government runs out of fools to loan them money.
    Social Security may be part of the debt, but it is not listed as such in terms of the total debt or the yearly deficit.

In fact, I think Bush found a scheme as well to keep the expenses for the war off the debt column.

Why are they allowed to do this?
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Dec '12 18:171 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Social Security may be part of the debt, but it is not listed as such in terms of the total debt or the yearly deficit.

In fact, I think Bush found a scheme as well to keep the expenses for the war off the debt column.

Why are they allowed to do this?
    Not sure. I know it is why I abandoned my quest to become a CPA. The rules of the game change too often. The worst problem is the intentional debasing of money by central banks. Nothing in banking or economics can be validly argued because the goal post shifting is constant.

The Social Security Trust fund simply buys treasury bonds. They have to invest the surplus, when there was on somewhere, and Tbills are safer than most. Those bonds and the amount of SS debt are measurable, of course not predictable due to central bank debasement of currency.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Dec '12 18:56
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Not sure. I know it is why I abandoned my quest to become a CPA. The rules of the game change too often. The worst problem is the intentional debasing of money by central banks. Nothing in banking or economics can be validly argued because the goal post shifting is constant.

The Social Security Trust fund simply buys treasury bonds. They have to invest ...[text shortened]... of SS debt are measurable, of course not predictable due to central bank debasement of currency.
    The system is so jacked up there is no way for it to survive much longer.

What do you think will replace it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree