1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 02:08
    That's a lot of hurricanes this year. Four that hit the US I think?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 02:19
    And a devastating earthquake that hit Mexico. Our southern neighbors have had it bad.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 02:211 edit
    Come to think of it....how would Trump's border wall stand up to a hurricane or an earthquake? The cost of the damage on top the 30 billion to build it would be astronomical.
  4. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 02:383 edits
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Come to think of it....how would Trump's border wall stand up to a hurricane or an earthquake? The cost of the damage on top the 30 billion to build it would be astronomical.
    Well. The hospital we are building is 267 feet tall and has springy footers that will allow it to sway 4' horizontal and 6" at the top Don't think a 30' wall would be a problemo. Build that sucka.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 02:452 edits
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Well. The hospital we are building is 267 feet tall and has springy footers that will allow it to sway 4' horizontal and 6" at the top Don't think a 30' wall would be a problemo. Build that sucka.
    We're talking about a wall thousands of miles long. The available surface area for for a hurricane (especially four category 4 hurricanes like we had this year) to push against is a lot more. A wall would catch a lot more wind, and there'd be a lot more to fight against. Imagine walking in a hurricane against the wind; now imagine stretching out your arms in the same hurricane as wide as you could. You'd be a lot easier for the winds to knock down.

There's also the issue of earthquakes, like what happened in Mexico City.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 02:47
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    That's a lot of hurricanes this year. Four that hit the US I think?
    4 if you count Jose as the usa I think.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 03:10
    Let's build the wall and find out.
  8. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 05:03
    We're talking about a wall thousands of miles long. The available surface area for for a hurricane (especially four category 4 hurricanes like we had this year) to push against is a lot more. A wall would catch a lot more wind, and there'd be a lot more to fight against. Imagine walking in a hurricane against the wind; now imagine stretching out your arms ...[text shortened]... inds to knock down.

Clocked myself in freefall at 225 mph. Build it thick 30' deep and a couple foot thick w/ hardened concrete reinforced w/ one " rebar. Ain't going anywhere. 😛
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 09:381 edit
    We're talking about a wall thousands of miles long. The available surface area for for a hurricane (especially four category 4 hurricanes like we had this year) to push against is a lot more. A wall would catch a lot more wind, and there'd be a lot more to fight against. Imagine walking in a hurricane against the wind; now imagine stretching out your arms ...[text shortened]... inds to knock down.

Will the prevailing winds use the wall like a sail to push the US border to the north then? Will Mexico slowly but surely take more land as the wall recedes?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree