ICC seeks warrants for Qadaffi's arrest

ICC seeks warrants for Qadaffi's arrest

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 11

Originally posted by sh76
Given that Africans have virtually no role in running the court, why should Africans respect its jurisdiction?
Because according to Wikipedia, half of Africa has signed the document which gives the court jurisdiction over them.
What I saw on TV today (a statement from the ICC) suggested that Libya had signed it too.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 11

Quite aside from the issues of the Court's legitimacy and possible bias, there's good reason to question the wisdom of issuing warrants on the Libyan leadership at this point. It gives Qadaffi a disincentive to leave power. More importantly, it gives Qaddaffi's military leaders a strong incentive to stick by him to the bloody end - if they abandon him now they still quite possibly might be subject to prosecution for prior acts. That makes it in their self-interest not to do what everybody but Qaddaffi wants them to

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 11

Originally posted by no1marauder
More importantly, it gives Qaddaffi's military leaders a strong incentive to stick by him to the bloody end - if they abandon him now they still quite possibly might be subject to prosecution for prior acts. That makes it in their self-interest not to do what everybody but Qaddaffi wants them to
The problems in Zimbabwe are for this very reason. If Mugabe finally steps down and the opposition gets full control, then a significant proportion of the army, police, politicians etc would be at risk of being tried for various crimes.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 May 11
1 edit

Most of that information is on the Wikipedia page I linked to. As to the information that's not on the Wikipedia page, I don't know (though I did browse their site a bit this morning).

Other than calling the court a "European creation" I didn't mention anything about Europe at all in my OP. It was created by the Rome statute in Europe, it is mostly funded by he court for seemingly only going after Africans. Do you agree with this criticism or not?
Let me help you:

Who set up the court? The UN did.
How many countries signed the treaty that established it? Loads
Which ones ratified it? Loads
How are the funding contributions determined? By ability to pay, just like the UN.
Where is the president of the court from? Korea.
Where is the vice-president of the court from? Mali.
Which nationalities are the judges in the court from? From all continents.
Where is the Head of the Office of the Prosecutor from? Argentina.
Where is the person in charge of the Prosecution Division of the Office of the Prosecutor from? Gambia.

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 11

Originally posted by Palynka
Let me help you:

[b]Who set up the court?
The UN did.
How are the funding contributions determined? By ability to pay, just like the UN.
Where is the vice-president of ...[text shortened]... e person in charge of the Prosecution Division of the Office of the Prosecutor from? Gambia.[/b]
All former European colonies! And besides, the head office in in Europe!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 May 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
All former European colonies! And besides, the head office in in Europe!
Korea?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 May 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Korea?
Is your irony detector broken?

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Korea?
Thats a US colony and as we all know the US is a European ally.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
16 May 11

Let me help you:

[b]Who set up the court?
The UN did.
Where is the vice-president of ...[text shortened]... e person in charge of the Prosecution Division of the Office of the Prosecutor from? Gambia.[/b]
Irregardless, as Paulie Walnuts would say, it's funded mostly by Europe, it was negotiated in Europe and it sits in Europe.

In any case, the allegation of it being a European device came directly from the article in the OP (from the Libyans). If you disagree with that, fine. Whether the court is European or Asian or American or anything else has little bearing on the question of whether it's smart or viable for them to issue an arrest warrant for Qadaffi or whether it's an extraordinary waste of money other than being a boon to the Dutch economy.

w

Moves
16 May 11

Who set up the court?
How many countries signed the treaty that established it?
Which ones ratified it?
How are the funding contributions determined?
Where is the president of the court from?
Where is the vice-president of the court from?
Which nationalities are the judges in the court from?
Where is the Head of the Office of the Prosecutor from?
Where is the person in charge of the Prosecution Division of the Office of the Prosecutor from?
Indeed. Many play along as Europe sways these countries to do their bidding. After all, do they want to be the next country to be attacked?

w

Moves
16 May 11
2 edits

Thats a US colony and as we all know the US is a European ally.
I thought the US was now a European colony? I mean, they wish to copy their health care system, among other things, and now go to war with UN consent instead of Congressional consent.

All I can say is keep those Nobel Peac Prizes coming Europe!! The US is doing a fine job for ya!! In the interim, feel free to continue to diss the US for world wide military conquests as they continue one in Libya at your own bidding.

w

Moves
16 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
Quite aside from the issues of the Court's legitimacy and possible bias, there's good reason to question the wisdom of issuing warrants on the Libyan leadership at this point. It gives Qadaffi a disincentive to leave power. More importantly, it gives Qaddaffi's military leaders a strong incentive to stick by him to the bloody end - if they abandon him no ...[text shortened]... cts. That makes it in their self-interest not to do what everybody but Qaddaffi wants them to
Why not just kill him like they did Osama? Then again, I suppose it would look bad.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 May 11
1 edit

Irregardless, as Paulie Walnuts would say, it's funded mostly by Europe, it was negotiated in Europe and it sits in Europe.

In any case, the allegation of it being a European device came directly from the article in the OP (from the Libyans). If you disagree with that, fine. Whether the court is European or Asian or American or anything else has little beari or whether it's an extraordinary waste of money other than being a boon to the Dutch economy.
More denial. It's not irrelevant that many non-European countries agreed on it or that the top places I've mentioned feature no european.

How should they fund it then if not by ability to pay (measure by GDP and other economic statistics)? Should Gambia pay as much as Germany so tin-foil hat conspiracy theorists like you are placated?

Yes, I think it's great that people like Qadaffi are tried by an international court and I don't think international law agreements are extraordinary wastes of money. Much better than creating special courts for every case (leading to very few cases actually being tried) which was the status quo before.

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 11

In any case, the allegation of it being a European device came directly from the article in the OP (from the Libyans).
No, the allegation came from you, and you tried to back it up using the article which is obviously biased as it is from someone who stands to loose out because of the ICC.

But neither you, nor the article writer have any leg to stand on because Libya accepted the jurisdiction of the ICC and so it is not being 'asserted' on them as you claim.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 May 11
1 edit

Libya accepted the jurisdiction of the ICC and so it is not being 'asserted' on them as you claim.
It did?