1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 06:20
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35296993

Is the word ghetto racist?
    Since bloody when?

What’s wrong over there in the good old US of A.

The word nigger I can understand. Sort of.
    Obviously here in Europe it’s a derogatory term, but it’s not like a word you can’t use. It’s not like this big thing which makes strong men tremble at the knees.
    I mean, there’s so many nasty things to say about people, one more or less isn’t gonna change an attitude.
    In Britain it’s worse to smite the Anglo-Saxon word for labia, for example. And in the Netherlands you shouldn’t use the word cancer to describe someone’s personality.

But the word ghetto?
    To us in Europe it generally refers to the slums the nazi’s stuck the Jews in.
    However, there’s a the grander context (bad neighbourhood or area of poverty).

And when Tarantino says:
    "Ennio Morricone... is my favourite composer - and when I say favourite composer, I don't mean movie composer - that ghetto. I'm talking about Mozart, I'm talking about Beethoven, I'm talking about Schubert. That's who I'm talking about."
    It’s clear he’s using an exaggeration; meaning being a movie composer is somewhat impoverished in comparison to being a now classical composer.

So, I can understand people being up in arms about his pretentiousness, but racist?
    That’s just crazy.
    And then Jamie Foxx getting upset about it. As if he’s some sort of moral barometer on what can and cannot be said.

I’ve never subscribed to the: “Only Jews can make Jewish jokes” sentiment (exchange Jewish for catholic, Muslim, gay, or any other group of people). And so it goes for all language.

But ghetto being racist, because a white man uses it whilst segmenting music?
    Completely bizarre.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 07:07
    Originally posted by shavixmir

Since bloody when?

Obviously here in Europe it’s a derogatory term, but it’s not like a word you can’t use. It’s not like this big thing which makes strong men tremble at the knees.
    I ...[text shortened]... t ghetto being racist, because a white man uses it whilst segmenting music?
    Completely bizarre.
    You're right.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 07:21
    Tarantino has a good taste in music.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 08:40
    As long as niggers use the word nigger to address fellow niggers, niggers shouldn't moan about non-niggers using the word nigger to describe niggers.

Also, isn't it generally accepted that Jamie Foxx is an enormous tool? That nigger needs to STFU, I'd say.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 13:40
    “When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

"ghetto"

early 17th century: perhaps from Italian getto ‘foundry’ (because the first ghetto was established in 1516 on the site of a foundry in Venice), or from Italian borghetto, diminutive of borgo ‘borough'.

https://www.google.com/search?q=etymology+ghetto&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 16:04
    Here's a more extensive and interesting discussion of the word "ghetto."

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/04/27/306829915/segregated-from-its-history-how-ghetto-lost-its-meaning
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 00:55
    Sung to Elvis's In The Ghetto:
    Then one day in desperation the young blood breaks away
    He steals a gun
    Hijacks a car
    He rapes some chick
    But he don't get far
    From the ghetto
    And his momma cries
    Him dindu nuffins
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 01:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 02:19
    Originally posted by shavixmir

Since bloody when?

I ...[text shortened]... t ghetto being racist, because a white man uses it whilst segmenting music?
    Completely bizarre.
    It was negro, then nigger, then colored or colored folk, then black. Did I miss any?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 06:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It was negro, then nigger, then colored or colored folk, then black. Did I miss any?
    A few.

http://www.rsdb.org/race/blacks

Remembering "coon" made me think to look.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 07:01
    Originally posted by JS357
    A few.

http://www.rsdb.org/race/blacks

Remembering "coon" made me think to look.
    My family never said that. We did use "African American" sometime and I have heard "Uncle Tom" but my family never used it ourselves.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 18:001 edit
    I had never heard of the term Nigger Toes applied to Brazil nuts until I moved to Oklahoma.

In California the term nigger isn't used much. When I use the term, I apply it to gang banger types. If I see a white guy who dresses, talks and acts like a black gang banger, I call him a white nigger or whigger.

In other words, the term has different meaning in different parts of the nation.

In general, I simply use the term black person to describe a black person.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 18:27
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I had never heard of the term Nigger Toes applied to Brazil nuts until I moved to Oklahoma.

In California the term nigger isn't used much. When I use the term, I apply it to gang banger types. If I see a white guy who dresses, talks and acts like a black gang banger, I call him a white nigger or whigger.

In other words, the term has different meaning ...[text shortened]... rts of the nation.

In general, I simply use the term black person to describe a black person.
    Believe it or not, it was not until I was in the military and was sent north to Ft Detrick, Maryland and met my future wife that i learned the real name for Brazil nuts. It took me a long time with my wife reminding me to get over that habbit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree