1. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    29 May '09 06:01
    http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk/No-invite-so-Royals-will.5314048.jp

It is “primarily a Franco – American ceremony” is it then? I don’t remember there being much ‘Franco’ involvement on those beaches 65 years ago.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 May '09 06:44
    Originally posted by MacSwain

It is “primarily a Franco – American ceremony” is it then? I don’t remember there being much ‘Franco’ involvement on those beaches 65 years ago.
    I agree
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '09 09:241 edit

You never heard about the French Resistance role in Overlord, then?
  4. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    29 May '09 19:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    You never heard about the French Resistance role in Overlord, then?
    My, my, my! English language, or comprehension of same, once more escapes you or you choose to totally ignore subject of topic. The words I posted were clear and succinct to all, except perhaps some devilish little troll who wishes to manufacture/alter a topic so he/she/it is able to see their name appear once more on an acclaimed newsletter of the world.....RHP-Debates. 😀

I don’t remember there being much ‘Franco’ involvement on those beaches 65 years ago.....on those beaches 65 years ago.....beaches 65 years ago.....beaches 65 years ago.....beaches

In your on-going education (which is becoming tiresome) here are the forces, clearly noted by history, as storming the beaches at Normandy.

United Kingdom Land Forces
    Second British Army
    1st British Corps
    30th British Corps
    3rd British Infantry Division
    6th British Airborne Division
    50th British Infantry Division
    3rd Canadian Infantry Division

United States Army Land Forces
    First Army
    V Corps
    VII Corps
    1st Infantry Division
    4th Infantry Division
    29th Infantry Division
    82nd Airborne Division
    101st Airborne Division
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 May '09 20:20
    My, my, my! English language, or comprehension of same, once more escapes you or you choose to totally ignore subject of topic. The words I posted were clear and succinct to all, except perhaps some devilish little troll who wishes to manufacture/alter a topic so he/she/it is able to see their name appear once more on an acclaimed newsletter of the world... ...[text shortened]...
    4th Infantry Division
    29th Infantry Division
    82nd Airborne Division
    101st Airborne Division
    Free French forces went ashore at Sword Beach alongside the British.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 May '09 22:57
    My, my, my! English language, or comprehension of same, once more escapes you or you choose to totally ignore subject of topic. The words I posted were clear and succinct to all, except perhaps some devilish little troll who wishes to manufacture/alter a topic so he/she/it is able to see their name appear once more on an acclaimed newsletter of the world... ...[text shortened]...
    4th Infantry Division
    29th Infantry Division
    82nd Airborne Division
    101st Airborne Division
    D-Day : Free France forces in action

Land forces

In the early hours of June 6, 1944, four sticks of 8 paratroopers each belonging to the 3rd Free France battalion led by Bourgoin are dropped over Britanny.

On June 6, 1944, the Free French forces deployed land on Sword Beach and are composed of two troops and a section. There are 177 soldiers (1st Battalion fusilers), plus the captain Philippe Kieffer.

Air force

Air forces of Free France who took part in operation Neptune from June 5 to 6, 1944 were: 3 fighters squadrons and 2 light and heavy bombers squadrons (who had previously fought in North Africa).
    Navy
    There were many Free French crews on the Allied warships involved in Operation Overlord. But the proper Free French ships (which were almost all built by the British) are four:

In front of the coastal artillery battery of Longues-sur-Mer (between Omaha Beach and Gold Beach) are the Free France cruisers "Montcalm" and "Georges Leygues".

In front of Omaha Beach is the destroyer "Roselys".

In front of Juno Beach is the destroyer "La Combattante".

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/french_forces.htm

Crow can be tasty sometimes.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '09 23:182 edits
    My, my, my! English language, or comprehension of same, once more escapes you or you choose to totally ignore subject of topic. The words I posted were clear and succinct to all, except perhaps some devilish little troll who wishes to manufacture/alter a topic so he/she/it is able to see their name appear once more on an acclaimed newsletter of the world.....RHP-Debates.
    French Resistance activity had no effect on the D-Day landings on the beaches? Was it not 'involvement'?

The FF Forces were in Italy in May-June 1944 and had been fighting there since 1943.

Some units went ashore on June 6 and others landed elsewhere, as no1 has detailed.

French ships were part of the assault on the beaches too. As mentioned.

The bulk of the FF Forces then landed in Normandy on 1st August and then played a key role in the drive to liberate Paris.

For one so keen to wave his little Francophobic war erection in the air, it's odd that you don't understand the details of the bit of war in question.

Of course I understand the word 'beaches'. If that's your retort, then good for you.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '09 06:27
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I agree
    One wonders how many American lives were saved because of the French contribution to the assault on those beaches?
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    30 May '09 06:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    One wonders how many American lives were saved because of the French contribution to the assault on those beaches?
    I dont know. Enlighten me my fair haired leaping gnome.🙂
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '09 06:38
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I dont know. Enlighten me my fair haired leaping gnome.🙂
    It seems you hadn't even thought about it. Surprise surprise.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '09 07:001 edit
    Apparently the British Government has decided that Prime Minister Gordon Brown will represent the UK at the events commemorating the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

France insists that Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is welcome to attend - they could hardly have imagined her notattending. They've pointed out that France has invited Britain to attend the ceremony and it is up to Brown's government to decide who will represent it.

Seems like it is yet another Brown faux pas. Maybe his mind is on his increasingly non-existent chances of re-election?
  12. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 May '09 09:43
    4th Infantry Division
    29th Infantry Division
    82nd Airborne Division
    101st Airborne Division
    The ceremony is to commemorate operation Overlord, so why do you limit it to the beaches, except to take a pot shot at the French ? (And even that failed, as multiple persons before me pointed out.)
  13. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    31 May '09 20:41
    I see there has been activity in my absence…good! Sorry to say no one replied to what I actually wrote. Instead you chose to respond something I did not say.

I DID NOT CONTEND FRENCH WERE NOT INVOLVED…

To repeat, I said: “I don’t remember there being MUCH ‘Franco’ involvement on those BEACHES 65 years ago.”

I took exception to French officials statement of: “This is primarily a Franco – American ceremony.” I contend it is actually “British – American – Franco ceremony.”

Sadly, you obviously agree with the French official statement, which is insulting to British involvement as being less than the French to the point it does not merit mentioning in their statement! My opinion of that erroneous and callous statement remains steadfast! British Force involvement is deserving of highest regard!
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 00:08
    I contend it is actually "British – American – Franco ceremony.”
    That makes even less sense.

A French - American ceremony I can just about understand: the French can hold whatever ceremony they want on their soil and invite the Americans - although I wouldnt do that if I were them.

But your suggestion of a "British – American – Franco ceremony"? What's that all about? If it has any pretense to be "complete", then the Canadians would have to be there too.

And, just as with your sneering OP about French involvement in D-Day, a little research would've set you straight: Canada is fully involved in a whole host of ceremonies - there are dozens and dozens, besides the one with the Sarkozy, Brown and Obama - in Normandy this month.
  15. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 14:39
    I see there has been activity in my absence…good! Sorry to say no one replied to what I actually wrote. Instead you chose to respond something I did not say.

I DID NOT CONTEND FRENCH WERE NOT INVOLVED…

To repeat, I said: [b]“I don’t remember there being MUCH ‘Franco’ involvement on those BEACHES 65 years ago.”

I took exception to French offici ...[text shortened]... d callous statement remains steadfast! British Force involvement is deserving of highest regard![/b]
    If that's what you meant, then you're pathetic at expressing yourself. Really, wanting to say 'I think they should have included the British' and instead saying, 'hah, there were hardly any French on the beaches', it isn't any wonder no one was addressing the point you think you made.

Also nice to see your reading comprehension is about as good as your writing. People saying 'the French were involved' and you reading 'we think the British contribution isn't worthy of a commemoration'. Or did you actually understand it and just think a straw-man was a nice way to draw attention away from your other mistakes ?

And excuse me for being so aggressive, but the kind of dishonesty you are showing in this thread isn't really worthy of a kinder answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree