1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 00:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It might be a shock to you, but countries often reach agreements without revealing every scrap of information that might be useful to military planners on the other side.

Ridiculous I know, but what are ya gonna do?
    But this country has a Constitution and there is a proper way to go about treaties.

Yes, treaties, not Executive agreements.

Again, you fail to answer the question. Why is Congress voting on something when they don't know all of the details?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 02:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    But this country has a Constitution and there is a proper way to go about treaties.

Yes, treaties, not Executive agreements.

Again, you fail to answer the question. Why is Congress voting on something when they don't know all of the details?
    They know all the details of the agreement. The agreement says the Iranians can and cannot do certain things in their facilities and calls for the IAEA to inspect them to ensure compliance. There is nothing in the agreement saying US politicians and military planners get to know the full details of nuclear facilities they have repeatedly threatened to bomb.

See here for the difference between treaties and executive agreements.http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/treaties_and_executive_agreements/

The first bind future Presidents, the latter do not. Presidents starting with George Washington have entered into EAs in conducting foreign policy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree