1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 20:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes i suspect it is and it seems that there is a kind of moral sensitivity that people have towards free riding, that its socially unacceptable, yet it seems to me that there are inherent benefits, for example the distribution of source code for Open source programs where people are actively rewarded and encouraged to free ride, the benefit being tha ...[text shortened]... make people buy legitimate copies of albums, thus benefiting the artist and record companies.
    How are you defining free riding?

In your first example, you are merely using something that the creator hoped you would use. I cannot see how anyone could be against using a product that the creator wanted you to use.

In your second and third example, you might actually be stealing. There is always an issue if patents or copy writing laws stimulate creativity by allow the creator to be compensated or if it prevents others from using something of benefit.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 20:443 edits
    Originally posted by quackquack
    How are you defining free riding?

In your first example, you are merely using something that the creator hoped you would use. I cannot see how anyone could be against using a product that the creator wanted you to use.

In your second and third example, you might actually be stealing. There is always an issue if patents or copy writing laws stimula ...[text shortened]... by allow the creator to be compensated or if it prevents others from using something of benefit.
    It remains undefined for its definition depends entirely upon context, hitch-hiking may be defined as free riding as is giving your friend an MP3.

That the latter two might be technically stealing as you say, but is not the issue, for of course intellectual property is protected, but I am interested in whether its of greater benefit to allow free riding to take place. For example I believe Microsoft have suffered greatly in the browser wars which they initially won and were forced to give IE away, whereas, at the time, Netscape gave away all its source code and eventually became Mozilla, who uses Internet explorer now? no one, its still crap because Microsoft dont allow free riding.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 21:14
    It remains undefined for its definition depends entirely upon context, hitch-hiking may be defined as free riding as is giving your friend an MP3.

That the latter two might be technically stealing as you say, but is not the issue, for of course intellectual property is protected, but I am interested in whether its of greater benefit to allow fre ...[text shortened]... who uses Internet explorer now? no one, its still crap because Microsoft dont allow free riding.
    Let's forget about intellectual property and discuss real property.

If my friends and I, spend a month in someone's unoccupied home is that free riding? Can I borrow your car for a night without your permission if I know you are sleeping and won't use it anyway?

When you say you are interested in "whether its of greater benefit" does the answer depend on what I do in the home with or with the car? Who decides when this unauthorized borrowing is acceptable or not?
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 21:151 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I am not complaining about the roaches. They aren't making the horse's life any harder.
    There's a banker, a daily mail reader and a benefit claimant sharing a plate of 10 biscuits. The banker has 9 biscuits, and says to the daily mail reader - "keep an eye on that benefit claimant, he wants your biscuit"
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 21:16
    and who's been listening to radio four Mr Carobbie? 😉
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 21:23
    To some extent we get a free ride whenever we enter into a win-win
    situation. It's a good thing isn't it?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 21:48
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    and who's been listening to radio four Mr Carobbie? 😉
    the philosophical arms or something, wasn't it awesome, i only caught the last minutes, my headphones are not very good and the signal kept breaking up on my smartphone because of it, but yes, hands up, twas I listening to radio 4, its either that or capital FM and i would rather not listen to anything than commercial radio, but its a good topic for debate me thinks.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 21:53
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Let's forget about intellectual property and discuss real property.

If my friends and I, spend a month in someone's unoccupied home is that free riding? Can I borrow your car for a night without your permission if I know you are sleeping and won't use it anyway?

When you say you are interested in "whether its of greater benefit" does the answer de ...[text shortened]... with or with the car? Who decides when this unauthorized borrowing is acceptable or not?
    yes of course its certainly free riding as mostly people pay rent or mortgage repayments, can you borrow my car without permission? is kind of hard, it has an immobiliser and you would need the key fob. Greater benefit refers to whether the act of free riding in itself produces greater benefits than not, i have provided i think examples where this is the case.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    To some extent we get a free ride whenever we enter into a win-win
    situation. It's a good thing isn't it?
    yes but could it be described as free riding merely because its a win win?
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 22:32
    yes but could it be described as free riding merely because its a win win?
    Well I am assuming win-win means we get out
    more than we put in; therefore that "extra"
    is the bit we get for nowt. A free ride. 😀
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 22:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 00:38
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If you are poor, you can choose to work the system. Sign up for all for all the free stuff you can get, then work under the table.

It's the poor shmucks who try to make an honest living and be self sufficient that gets taken advantage in this country.
    All three of them.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 15:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I am not complaining about the roaches. They aren't making the horse's life any harder.
    When the horse has money taken away from it to give to anyone else, the horse suffers. True, there are many others who abuse the horse, but please don't try to argue that simply because poor people don't have enough money that it's ok to take even more.

You claim to care about the little guy, but then make excuses for a group of people taking advantage of him. Shame on you.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 20:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    All three of them.
    Nope, there are more than three. I agree, the roaches seem to be the majority.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 21:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    When the horse has money taken away from it to give to anyone else, the horse suffers. True, there are many others who abuse the horse, but please don't try to argue that simply because poor people don't have enough money that it's ok to take even more.

You claim to care about the little guy, but then make excuses for a group of people taking advantage of him. Shame on you.
    The horse has work taken from it. The roaches are negligable weight. The guy in the cart is the one whipping the horse, weighing him down, and taking all the money.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree