Is Japan the harbinger for all of the west?

Is Japan the harbinger for all of the west?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by Teinosuke
Yes, I do - but I'm not sure that was the question at issue. As regards the low birth rate, I've advocated pro-natalist policies in other threads. Still, I've heard some Japanese commentators argue that greater use of mechanisation and robotics will compensate for a declining labour pool!
Hmm, fair enough.

l have heard these arguments too and it is hard to see how they can be taken too seriously. Wont be long before the government is forced to either (and or) reign in its social welfare spending or increase the retirement age considerably.

T

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by nook7
Hmm, fair enough.

l have heard these arguments too and it is hard to see how they can be taken too seriously. Wont be long before the government is forced to either (and or) reign in its social welfare spending or increase the retirement age considerably.
Isn't that what they said before the industrial revolution?

I imagine the retirement age will rise though. Japanese people, after all, are living longer than ever.

n

Moves
21 Oct 10

Isn't that what they said before the industrial revolution?

I imagine the retirement age will rise though. Japanese people, after all, are living longer than ever.
LOL true.
The life expectancy rates are interesting reading - look at the trend in diseases based on diet thanks to the introduction of "Western" foods in particular fast foods like MCDonalds.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
21 Oct 10

Originally posted by nook7
LOL true.
The life expectancy rates are interesting reading - look at the trend in diseases based on diet thanks to the introduction of "Western" foods in particular fast foods like MCDonalds.
Yes, but is a long life of just fish and rice really a life worth living?

T

Moves
21 Oct 10

Originally posted by sh76
Hey, don't knock it - it's the best fish in the world. And what about all that tonkatsu, shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, okonomiyaki, and so on?

n

Moves
23 Oct 10

Originally posted by sh76
l would indulge in eating the myriad of Japanese cuisine that goes well beyond what your obviously stupid joke comment suggests.

n

Moves
23 Oct 10

Hey, don't knock it - it's the best fish in the world. And what about all that tonkatsu, shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, okonomiyaki, and so on?
Makes me hungry!