1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    23 Nov '12 22:18
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Unless the GOP can sell relevance and value to minorities, instead of targetting them as the problem........add in a couple of derogatory terms that alienate minorities into that cartoon and you get the picture
    Yep
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 00:23
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Maybe so. But human (voter) behavior is interesting. The smart guys in the Republican Party are convinced that a voter will not vote for a candidate if the voter perceives the candidate does not like them (the voter), no matter the voter's best interest.
    That sort of suggests that the only way to win votes is to pander to group constituencies. That is sort of the status quo methodology that everyone seems to hate, except when it works for them.

I would hope that opposition to pandering and promising goodies from the government can be sold to people who rationally would prefer earning their own way to getting handouts, fishing to being given fish.

The trouble is that the "moochers" are not just the poor, but are spread evenly throughout the spectrum of American levels of income. Solidly middle class people are on the dole, and many wealthy as well. Recipients of government largess at every level, think "they deserve" it. Everyone wants their place at the trough reserved, but knows it is necessary to squeeze out others less deserving.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 23:20
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That sort of suggests that the only way to win votes is to pander to group constituencies. That is sort of the status quo methodology that everyone seems to hate, except when it works for them.

I would hope that opposition to pandering and promising goodies from the government can be sold to people who rationally would prefer earning their own way to ...[text shortened]... lace at the trough reserved, but knows it is necessary to squeeze out others less deserving.
    I think you make some valid points, but all politicians pander and always will. That's never going to change. That is the way our democracy has always worked. And the Republicans are the worse about pandering. They pander to their base so much. They have to, or they would not win the primaries. Republican candidates definitely say idiotic stuff, propose and pass idiotic legislation, and use harsh rhetoric and often racist innuendo, to pander to the right ringers, social conservatives, and religious fundamentalists. It's sad.

But back to the original post. The cartoon and Jindal are not talking about pandering. That is a completely different issue. Jindal is just saying don't tell a significant portion of the constituency they are worthless and you do not like them. He is not saying to pander to them, but just don't call them a worthless piece of crap.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree